Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What Happens in Vegas...Usually Ends Up On My Blog

We didn't do as much in Las Vegas as we did in Los Angeles, so I'm going to skip a day or two. I already covered our travel day in yesterday's post, and the next day was pretty much just a chill day. Going to the gym, hanging out by the pool, reading some HP, the yooj (yooj=usual).

We went to the Strip that night. It was pretty cool, and I got some pictures, but they all turned out badly because my camera died every time I took a photograph. That will change soon, though. I'm saving up for a new camera, and my savings are coming along nicely, considering the fact that it's not even my birthday yet and I've got $100 out of the $400-ish saved.

The next day, we went out to a different mall (they seem to have a lot of those in Las Vegas--we went to another one the next day; or maybe it was the day after that?).

BUT WAIT. I forgot. This was after we had spent the afternoon at Savers, which is like a massive thrift store. I didn't see anything over $30, and those were the leather jackets. Most things were $2-$10, staying mostly around $5. I, being almost completely broke, went insane there. I almost bought a pair of relaxed fit high-waisted jeans, but they were a bit too tight so my sister bought them instead. It turns out she can rock a '90's look quite well, actually. In the end, I bought a pink Yves Saint Laurent sweater (at least I think it's YSL, it might've been a rip-off, but it did have the logo written across the chest and both the sleeves), a light wash denim vest (it's too big, but I can sew the seams smaller. I figured it was worth it because it was $5 at Savers and $160, and used to be $290, at Urban Outfitters), and..............A PAIR OF OVERALL SHORTS!!! Quest numero dos is complete!!! Well, the quest was really for the perfect overalls, but overall shorts are encompassed in that, no? My mother was actually the angel who found them for me. I tried on two pairs, and went with the bigger ones because overalls are meant to be loose. They're still not as relaxed as I'd like them to be, and even less so now that I've probably expanded my stomach within the past two days from staying at my grandma's house, but I've still got them. And that's better off than I was before. I also bought two pairs of shoes: one pair of Giorgio Brutini burgundy/wine-colored shoes for $10 (which you'll see in my July 4th outfit post, when it comes up in a few days), and a pair of simple, black, round-toed pumps for $12. I was in desperate need of some simple pumps, because this blogger told me in this post that basic pumps are one of the six essential pairs of shoes a girl needs. The Giorgio Brutinis turned out to be men's shoes, but they were in the women's section, how was I to know? It does explain the odd fit, though...

It was a highly successful day at Savers. Oh, but wait. It gets better. We went home, and my mom's friend Sandy brought out about three garbage bags filled with old clothes that we spent around an hour sorting through. I came out if it with: a pair of Banana Republic white flare jeans, a pair of regular flare jeans (with a braided belt attached, sort of like a pair of shorts I already own) a red, shirred, strapless body-con minidress (I KNOW), a Sgt. Pepper-esque jacket, an emerald green suede vest, and possibly something else, but I'm not at home right now so I can't check on it. Let's just say I have a lot of crap to clear out of my closet now to make room for the newcomers.

Back to the mall. It was important that I mentioned all of the above, though, or else you'd have no idea where I got the white pants I was wearing in our little mall excursion.

Photos taken by my mother (not for long!).
Photos of my mom were taken by me.

Shirt: My mom's in the 1970's, when she was my age
Pants: Banana Republic 
Platform wedges: DV by Dolce Vita
Watch: a birthday gift from my friend Ben
Ring: handmade by a woman at Venice Beach
Bracelet: a graduation present from my grandma

 Showin' off my sweet new kix. No, not the cereal. I meant kicks. As in shoes.

You can't see either of them too well in this photo, but the watch is a definite man repeller: it's yellow and big. It's also like one of those snap bracelets, where you can straighten it out, then smack the watch against your wrist and the watch coils around it. The ring is absolutely adorable. The gold part is aluminum wire, or something like that, and then it's just got this cute little mitten charm on the middle. I might be able to get a better picture of it in the future, as well as a shot of the other ring I bought on Venice Beach.

That's my mommy!
I don't know where her pants are from, but her shirt is Urban Outfitters and her platform wedges are Andres, or something like that (bought in Nice, France!). I took a picture of here because we were both wearing light-wash flare pants and nude-ish platform wedges. Sandy was wearing something similar: a white T-Shirt, flare jeans and platform wedges.

Those shoes positively slaughtered my feet and caused my ankles to bleed on my white basketball shoes the next morning, but looking good comes with a price, doesn't it? In addition to the price on the tag, which takes quite a bit from you by itself... Maybe we should take a tip from Jessie J every once in a while.

The funny thing about this outfit was that the vibe was already kinda '70's, but the shirt itself was from the '70's. Not such a great joke, but a good coincidence. For some reason I thought for a second that the first "i" in coincidence had an umlaut over it. I guess not.

I hope you are enjoying your post-July 4th bloat. I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!