Monday, July 25, 2011

FITting In At FIT: Day 9

This week, the real work begins. Sewing class wasn't too hard or anything. Just a bit more technical than usual. It shouldn't be overwhelmingly difficult. You know what is going to be overwhelmingly difficult? Patternmaking class. I may have told you that I began to drape the front of my shirt on Thursday, and it was going really well. I thought I totally knew what I was doing, and this project wouldn't be as hard as I thought.

I thought wrong. I started draping the back today and got a little confused but not very much so. I then transferred the muslin to pattern paper, and had a few alterations to make, but in the end it was okay. Then I got to the issue of the skirt. I was unable to find the original muslin skirt that I made a week or two ago, so I figured I'd hold off on that until tomorrow (I needed it for the under-skirt part of my design--it's a bit confusing.) Instead, I went to my teacher and asked her how to do the circular skirt for the pleated chiffon fabric I selected, and she said not to do a circular skirt with the pleated fabric because the pleats would go sideways. It makes sense, but it's annoying because circular skirts are the easiest.

She suggested that I make a pencil skirt with a flared bottom--so that's what I did. But that sounds a lot easier than it is, because this skirt is a maxi skirt. Which means I needed a really long piece of pattern paper. And I cut it out too short the first time. And the second time, it was just barely long enough, not long enough for even a quarter inch seam allowance. I'd prefer a half inch seam allowance. I'll just have to add it in on the muslin pattern. * Sigh *

I got most of that paper pattern done, but I'm still a little worried I won't finish in time because some people have already started working in their fabrics. That puts me in a bit of a pickle, I must say.

Anywhoozles (yowza, I haven't said that in a long time) here's what I wore today.

A few notes on today's photographs:
1. This was the first time I was able to wear long pants to FIT, because it was the first time it was not over 90 degrees.
2. I took these pictures in the morning before camp in the hallway of my apartment building because I went to lunch with people other than my sister today (I know, right??), and I didn't want to make them take pictures for me.
3. These were taken by my mom.

 T-shirt: hand-me-down
Denim vest: Chico's Platinum via Savers (it used to be a lot bigger and longer but I cut it and brought the seams in a bit last night)
Pants: Forever 21
Belt: unknown. Macy's?
Necklace: Urban Outfitters
Sandals: Montego Bay Club via Payless


My attempt at showing you my beautiful necklace--this camera sux at close up shots. It's so annoying. I'm working on getting that camera, but right now they're up to $400. I'm waiting until they go down a bit, but I haven't got much time because we leave for France very soon.

WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR A SPECIAL HAIR UPDATE: 
It has been confirmed that I am cutting my hair Wednesday at 5:15 p.m. That's even sooner than I anticipated!! I'm so freaking stoked!!

That's all for tonight. See you back here tomorrow at the same time for another episode of "FITting In At FIT!"

1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!