Wednesday, July 20, 2011

FITting In At FIT: Day 7

I've almost completed the first piece of my new collection, which will be comprised entirely of peasant blouses. And circular skirts.

JAYKAY I'D DIE FROM THE BOHEMIANINITY OF IT. IT WOULD BE LIKE A BAND OF NOMADIC HIPPIES JUMPED OUT OF MY SEWING MACHINE AND STRANGLED ME WITH THEIR BEADED NECKLACES, TICKLED ME TO DEATH WITH THEIR FEATHERS, AND FORCED ME TO SNEEZE MY BRAIN OUT OF MY EARS BY RUBBING THEIR EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF FLOWERS NEAR MY NOSE.

Just a few of the many reasons why the above statement will never happen.

But for real, I'm almost done with my peasant blouse that I'm making in my sewing class. I screwed up a few small details, but for the most part it's good. I'm still learning, am I right? Yes, I am.
Moving on.

My teacher accepted my sketch, which I was worried about because I had selected a fabric that she said not  to use, which was chiffon. I won't give away any details, but the fabric is, once again, perfect, and I needed to at least see if she'd let me use it. The only thing she changed is the sleeves. We're not allowed to have sleeves. How bogus is that? Am I expected to just make sleeveless garments the rest of my life? I SURE AS HELL HOPE NOT.

On an entirely different subject, we went back to yoga in the park today, and there was no tornado. That's always a good sign. Just one word of advice: never do an hour-long yoga class with a full bladder. Just don't do it.

Now for the part of the post you've all been waiting for...da picz!! Unfortunately for you, these didn't turn out too well in my favor. (See what I did there?...Me neither.) The thing is, whenever I wear this romper, it makes me look a lot wider in circumference than I am. That's never a good thing. They're also just all around unattractive. Try not to let that distract you.
But, I can tell you one good thing that came out of this outfit: I realized that I'm learning how to wear my clothing in more interesting ways. Continue reading for more info-->

Yes, photos taken by Rachel, as per yooj.

 Romper: Urban Outfitters
Tied up top: New York & Company
Watch: Ben's birthday present
Necklace: Urban Outfitters (Hanukah present from Edith)
Shoes: Christian Siriano for Payless
Sunglasses: Venice Beach

 See what I did here? I wore a tied up shirt over the romper. I usually just where it with a cardigan, like I did here, and every other time I've worn it. But this morning, I was having a lot of trouble deciding what to wear, and I had just the romper on and Rachel goes, "Del, you look fine." And then it hit me--fashion and dressing well aren't about looking "fine," they're about looking how you want to and doing something different. I realized today that I have a very specific style that's not quite like anyone else's. Sure, we all draw inspiration from one another, but everyone's style is always a little bit different, once they've developed it. Some people spend their whole lives wearing clothes that aren't really them. I don't know if it's just me, but I can tell when someone isn't dressing like themselves, even if I've never met them and I just see them on the street. It's insane. That would be under the "REALIZED" section on Grouchy Rabbit--props to Ben Korman for introducing me to this grumpy bunny.

Out of focus. My camera has autofocus. Great job, Rach. Keep @ it!!!!!1

I'm off to make a crop top to wear tomorrow, because it's supposed to be record temperatures tomorrow, and I refuse to wear a shirt tucked into my quest shorts. It just can't happen.

You may hear from me again tomorrow, if I survive the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!