Friday, July 22, 2011

FITting In At FIT: Day 8

I would like to start by apologizing for the post that my idiotic sister put up while I was away from my computer for about a minute. I'm going to delete, but for those of you that were unfortunate enough to read it, I'm sorry. Actually, I'm not the one who should be apologizing. Like, who does that? My stupid sister, that is exactly who.

ANYWAY. Yesterday, I was going to wear the crop top I attempted to make out of my mom's old yellow silk shirt, but seeing as I don't have a proper sewing table, I had to cut the shirt on the floor and my line was not straight. I tried as best as I could to turn it into a hi-low crop top, but it's REALLY short now. Like, I'm-not-comfortable-walking-around-in-this-because-it's-short-in-the-front-and-in-the-back-plus-if-I-pull-the-neckline-up-it's-no-longer-a-shirt-and-more-of-a-loose-bandeau-and-if-I-pull-it-down-there's-basically-no-point-in-wearing-any-shirt-at-all short. So I didn't wear that. But I did wear my quest shorts, typiqually enough.

My 8th day at FIT was highly successful, I must say. I completely finished my peasant blouse, and it turned out pretty nicely. I'll put up a picture once it's been graded and I'm allowed to wear it. We're starting on our shorts on Monday. So stoked, guys! Cotton shorts that aren't actually made of cotton because I didn't bother to ask FTW.

In my patternmaking class, I learned how to make a strapless, empire waist top with shirring at the bust. And then--and here's the best part--I started draping the dress that I designed in muslin!! Well, now it's a shirt and a skirt, because the skirt is going to end up looking like the one I wanted from Urban Outfitters, and why make one into the skirt of a dress and a separate skirt when I can just do it once and have both, sort of? <--Rhetorical question

After classes, I went to the fabric store and got all my fabrics that I need for my shirt/skirt. I found the fabric for the top and the under-skirt easily, but then, when I asked for the pleated fabric, the guy said the entire roll was sold. 


I was devastated. It was so perfect. My dreams were crushed.

JUST KIDDING THAT'S ABSURD. I was just mildly annoyed. Well, a little bit more than mildly annoyed, but I digress.

Bak 2 da stori: After spending 20 minutes looking for a different fabric to use, someone else who works at the store told me that the whole roll was not sold, only 30 yards, so there were like 25 left on the roll to sell. I said I only needed 3 and I got it! Everything's all set. I am so ready.

And here's what I wore in that sweltering heat of yesterday, which has just gotten worse today:
 Shirt and shorts: Urban Outfitters
Scarf: it tumbled out of Edith's locker in 7th grade, and I was like, "Oh, I've always wanted one of those!" and she was like, "You want it?" So now it's mine.
Mocassins: Minnetonka via Zappos
Watch: Ben
Earrings (you can see them better later): my mom's, go figure

 Just for fun. The Man Repeller likes to add in the blooper pictures, so I figured I should.
(You can see that I'm wearing earrings. This was a big week for earrings--I usually only wear small diamond studs. Wutz hapning????!!!!)
 Surprisingly enough, the scarf was not unbearable. It didn't make me really hot or anything. A side note about the earrings: they're like three silver pear-shaped things layered over each other, but they get smaller. Like a smaller pear over a bigger pear over the biggest pear.

The editing job I did here makes me look a little dead, but don't worry about it.

I'll be back later to discuss the movie I watched last night, and other things of that nature. I'm about to hop into my grandparent's pool because it's the hottest day of the year right now.

2 comments:

  1. "Scarf: it tumbled out of Edith's locker in 7th grade, and I was like, "Oh, I've always wanted one of those!" and she was like, "You want it?" So now it's mine."
    hahahhaha i remember that! im happy it has an active life in its new home. ps loving these outfits... you could try that super short crop top w/ super high waisted pencil skirt or over a fitted dress (kinda vintage).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about doing that. The only thing is that the shirt is sheer, so if I were to wear it over a dress, it would have to be a very specific color. I totally could've worn it with those supah kyoot purple suede shorts we found at Squan.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!