Thursday, July 7, 2011

Patriotism Has Never Been My Forte

Before Monday, I couldn't remember the last time I actually wore red, white and blue in honor of America's Independence Day. I don't think it ever really occurred to me that people do that until last July 4th, when I was on Fire Island and I saw a woman wearing a red and white striped maxi dress and something blue with it, and I was like, "Aw, shucks, I didn't wear red, white and blue today. I'll do it next year." And next year, did I do it? Why, yes I did. That is what this post is about: using clothing to show America some love and appreciation. A.k.a. patriotism.

I was actually overwhelmed by how many options I had for my red/white/blue combo outfit on Monday. I finally decided on my trusty combination of my mom's blue and white striped shirt that she had in the early 1970's and my quest shorts. I call this my trusty combination because it's also what I wore to my birthday party, which you'll see pictures from tomorrow! I added my mom's old Eric Stewart red cardigan that my sister and I share, a white ribbon around my waist for good measure, and my new Giorgio Brutinis, and I was set.

My sister also decided to wear her new, thrifted Guess high-waisted shorts, and this cute little red and black lace top. The combination made her look like she was from the television show "Charmed," so she said. She also said she felt like Piper, a character on the show. Why she chose Piper, I have no idea.

We spent July 4th and most of the 5th at my grandma's house, and she's got the nicest little garden behind her pool. These pictures were taken in the same place the ones that my cousin Sara took of me with her film camera a few weeks ago (which she developed and put on Facebook yesterday, so you'll see them in a few days' time!!). I ended up taking more pictures of my sister than she took of me, but I got a few good ones.

All photos taken of my sister were taken by me.
All photos taken of me were taken by my sister.
(Isn't it cool how those two sentences are exactly the same length?? No? Maybe it's just me.)

 My sister.

 Remember this picture. It will be important later.

 And this one.
Shirt: my mom's
Cardigan: also my mom's (Erik Stewart brand)
Shorts: Urban Outfitters
Socks: Unknown brand
Shoes: Giorgio Brutini
Sunglasses: Unknown brand, but they were bought in Nice, France
Belt: DIY (it's a ribbon. Shh!!)

 Cute garden, no?

 Don't mess.

 All my sister did to make me laugh was speak gibberish for five seconds.

 Mah noo shooz!

God bless America.

And now... Who wore it best?

I'll be back in a little to show you some non-outfit photos I took that day.
Please feel free to comment, letting me know who wore it best. That's what the question was posed for. A response.

2 comments:

  1. She looks more like Phoebe than Piper. Don't you agree? Wait you can see these right? I hope you get them emailed or something. Good. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's who she meant, but of course she only remembered Piper. Typiqual. Also, I did get them emailed to me.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!