Tuesday, July 19, 2011

FITting In At FIT: Day 6

Today was a great day.

In my first class, we started working on our peasant blouses, and mine is turning out really well. I could sell that sh*t, no joke. But I won't because I want to wear it. Even though I have been reduced to carrying my cash around in coin form.

In my second class, I did a lot of sketching (I wasn't supposed to, but there was a lot of waiting. I got a head start on my homework and it made swatch-shopping a billion times easier), and I have an idea for an incredible dress. I really hope my teacher lets me do it. If not I'll do it later. And a skirt version of the dress as well, because it's gonna look a lot like this one from Urban that I've been coveting for a few weeks now but is too expensive for my anorexic wallet.

I discussed Harry Potter with some people at my table, and I learned how to make a circular skirt, as well as how to transfer a muslin pattern to pattern paper. I'm gonna be churning out a full 35-piece collection by the time these courses are over.

I'll try and scan my sketches at some point soon, so you can see how awesome they're going to be.

After class, I went to the discount fabric store I discovered yesterday on 25th and 7th (which is right down the street from the Goodwill store I found on 25th between 6th and 7th!! I have been looking for one for ages and I am so freaking pumped to go there) and got 4 free swatches of fabric!! It was a really cramped store, but their selection was great. I found the perfect fabric for the dress I want to make--but it'll decide whether or not my professor will let me make the dress. See, she wants us to use cotton and stuff, but this is like, pleated chiffon. It's beautiful. It's not really chiffon, but it's just perfect and it's pre-pleated and I'm in love.

THEN, and here comes the best part, while I was on 19th street walking up 6th to meet my mom at Sports Authority, a woman stopped me on the street and asked to take my picture. I knew exactly what she was: a street style photographer. I was so pleased that I smiled involuntarily, then asked whether I should smile and was told I should look at the lens as though I wanted to look through the lens. So I stared into the double lens of her beautiful film camera, one unlike I'd ever seen before (well, my friend Ben may have brought one in in 6th grade, but let's pretend this is my first time for the sake of the story) and she took two pictures. She was going to hurry along, but I asked her a few questions first. I think she was used to people being bothered or in a hurry when she took their picture, but I was so flattered and very intrigued. I asked her about what she does and if she'd seen the Bill Cunningham movie, and she said she'd cried five times and was able to quote him. I got her card, and I plan to contact her in the future. Her name is Amy Touchette, and you can check out her website here.

And now, for the outfit that got my picture taken by a street style photographer:

All photos taken by Rachel.

 Blouse: Liz Claiborne via Squan Dry Goods
Shorts: American Rag
Shoes: Urban Outfitters
Bracelet: a birthday present from Edith
Lone earring (which it turns out you can't see in any of these pictures): I found it. Somewhere... Don't ask q's.

 I was trying to show you my one-earring'd-ness, because it was inspired by Andie from Pretty in Pink (4th picture down). And you can see how well that turned out.

There I am!

I'd just like to point out that I am up to 15 followers! Keep telling your friends about this blog, and join my Facebook page, and all that jazz.
[Please note that I tried to write a jazz pun in this space but it did not work. This text is written here as a reminder of the humor that was lost at 9:17 pm on July 19th, 2011. RIP.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!