Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FITting In At FIT: Day 2

The good thing about this whole camp series thing is that I don't have to worry about coming up with punny good titles.

Day 2: pretty good stuff.

In my sewing class (morning), we started practicing straight stitching on the industrial machines, which is a lot harder than it sounds. Those things move like lightning. It's scary. I actually jumped a little one time and closed my eyes. Did I think it was going to eat me, and that closing my eyes would help? Maybe. Was closing my eyes while trying to handle a very fast-moving needle? Not at all.

We also practiced using the reverse switch, which is also a little scary, because that's one less hand to guide the fabric with, which equals more possibility that the line won't end up straight, which was the point of the whole exercise. I got the hang of it pretty quickly though.

Next we worked on seams and seam finishes. We just had to sew together 6 panels (which means 5 seams) with 1 inch seam allowance, and then do a different seam finish on each one. Our teacher showed us how to do them, it's not like I just knew or anything. I even got to use an overlock machine, which is the thing they use to make all the seams inside our clothing have those crazy stitches on the ends, the little triangle-square pattern. Lucky for me, my sewing machine at home has that as a stitch, so I don't have to worry about a)getting one and b)chopping my fingers off with the built in blade that is supposed to cut of excess fabric but could easily catch an extremity.

My second class was quite similar to yesterday's class, because we worked on the basic shirt back to go with our front. It took less time than it did yesterday, so we got to move on (after pinning them together and putting them on our dress forms and seeing how well they fit, all thanks  to our trusty darts). We were informed about our next project, which is a halter top. I'm pretty excited. I also am now in possession of four yards of my own muslin.

And to this 2nd day of camp, I wore this:
(I feel like I'm making a lot of blog excuses lately, but today the quality of these pictures is owed to the fact that literally no one could take my picture today. I usually think selfies in da mirror are despicable, but if the Man Repeller can get away with it, I figured I can give it a shot. I'd give you the link to when she did it, but I can't find it.)

 Dress: Urban Outfitters
Blazer: Hamlet's Vintage (I wore it here as well)
Sandals: Montego Bay Club
Necklace: an Italian street vendor
Earrings: hand-me-downs from my mom


 I tried to show you my necklace a little closer up, but I guess it didn't work. This is one of my two owl necklaces, which may seem like a lot of nocturnal bird related neckwear, but I like owls. Actually, all of my friends say I look like an owl when I open my eyes really wide, which happens when I get mad or when I want something (that last one was discovered yesterday by my sister, so I can't really attest to it). And we've also decided that my Patronus would be an owl.

There's my shoes. Wait they're's  THREE???? JK, they're's only one. Think about it for a moment.

That's all for now, folks.
Toddly doodly doo!

Vivint is giving away $1.25 Million to charities. Help us win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!