Thursday, September 29, 2011

You're NOT A Tulle: How To Un-Toolify Yourself

Definition of a "tool" from urbandictionary.com:


"A person, typically male, who says or does things that cause you to give them a 'what-are-you-even-doing-here' look. The 'what-are-you-even-doing-here' look is classified by a glare in the tool's direction and is usually accompanied by muttering of how big of a tool they are. The tool is usually someone who is unwelcome but no one has the balls to tell them to get lost. The tool is always making comments that are out-of-place, out-of-line or just plain stupid. The tool is always trying too hard to fit in, and because of this, never will. However, the tool is useful because you can use them for things; money, rides, etc."

A few things to note here:
1. Not all tools are male. Typically, yes, but even toolishness is not sexist. 
2. "The tool is always trying too hard to fit in, and because of this, never will." This one is the most important of all the above phrases. This is exactly what I base my personal philosophy off of. I refuse to conform if it doesn't feel right. I never jumped on the short, tight, black skirt trend that everyone else my age did, nor did I ever jump on the crop top bandwagon, because they weren't me. I wear things that suit my taste, and the most important thing is that I'm not uncomfortable, ever. I think that's the most important thing for everyone when they're dressing themselves: if they're uncomfortable then they're not confident, and in the words of street style photographer beast, Mr. Newton, "The glue that pulls together an outfit is often just confidence and attitude." 

Definition of "tulle" from dictionary.com:
a thin, fine, machine-made net of acetate, nylon, rayon, or silk.

Not to be confused with the above "tool." 

This post is somewhat of a photo tutorial on how to take those pieces in your closet/drawers that you feel like you're never going to wear because they're just not you, but you feel like you might eventually, so you hold on to them season after season and have yet to wear them, and turn them into completely wearable pieces. Obviously I can't do this for each of you, but I can show you how I did it for myself. 

All photos taken by my sister Rachel and edited by me. I actually edited them for real, but Blogger is screwing them up and making them look grey again after I fixed that. I hope when it posts it's okay, but right now I'm not too pleased with Blogger. I used Photoshop and everything! 

 Step 1: Throw on that thing that you feel like you're never going to wear because it's just not you, but you feel like you might eventually, so you hold on to it season after season and have yet to wear it. I chose this Forever 21 dress that I got from my cousin a few years ago. I have not worn it once. I also put on my comfylicious black tights, 'cause baby, it's c...kinda chilly in my science class.

 Step 2: Throw something that you do like on to cover it up/make it more you. I chose my silk chambray Liz Claiborne top and tied it around my waist to hide the fact that this dress is honestly quite tight. Not something I usually dig. If this top looks familiar, it's because I wore it here and here, and a billion more times that you have not seen.

 Step 3: Layer. Layer more. Layer again. If there's one thing I've learned from the Man Repeller, it's to layer dat shiz on like there's no tomorrow. Once I'd completed steps 1 and 2 this morning, I knew there was something missing, but I couldn't figure out what. Then I thought about how cold it is during science class, and then it hit me: I needed to layer! It's fall for goodness' sake (finally), even thought it doesn't feel like it, so I can layer whatever the hell I want on my body if I feel so inclined. As you can see, I threw on a Forever 21 cardigan I got last winter (there is an abnormal amount of F21 going on today...funny how they're all included in a post about a thing I don't often wear.)


Step 4: Accessorize. There was something really serious missing from step 3. One of them was shoes. Can't go to school without shoes, now can I? I could, but my toes would get crumpled and trampled. And why not wear leopard print Converse if you've got 'em? If you've got it, flaunt it, as they say. So that's what I did. I wore my leopard print Chuck Taylors and stuck one of my three new Missoni For Target headbands on, which you can see below:

Missoni For Target headband, worn just for kicks.

And there ya go! I completely avoided being a tool and wearing something that was not me by just adding a few things here and there. If you've got any questions about this tutorial, let me know at youreatulle@gmail.com.

Let me know in the comments if you liked this, I'll do more if you did.

P.S.: Yes, I did get a haircut. A trim. A trimmy jimmy if you will.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Enjoy your honey-dipped apples and chocolate babka while it lasts, guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!