Friday, September 16, 2011

Welcome to the 21st Century

We all know that it's 2011, right? Good. Because I don't think the designers do. I doubt they ever do, since they're in their own world, designing away. Not that this is an issue, but just sayin'. Throwback to the '90's, anyway? This season, it was all over that decade. It touched a lot on minimalism. And you know me, I'm not a minimalist. But (and this is gonna blow your mind), I'm kind of feeling it for this spring. I know. I might just love it on other people. We'll find out soon enough, shan't we? 

In addition to our good ol' friend minimalism, we've also got a lot of tailored but really loose, flowy suits/blazers/pants going on this season. That's what I'm more excited for. A lot of people went neutral, but there were a few who stayed loyal to their faithful pals neon. And lots of yellows, and o' course orange. 

Since New York Fashion Week officially ended yesterday, I decided that it was a good time to do my Spring/Summer 2012 recap. These are my favorite '90's inspired looks:

ADAM:
I love me some sheer. And some pastel pink silk suits. So do I like this? Yeah.
Band of Outsiders:
I love the tailored and crisp style, and that little collar detail is adorable. The hat gives it a more suit-like feel, while still looking feminine. 
 Charlotte Ronson:
If this doesn't scream "'90's," I don't know what does. This is the kind of 90's you pick up from the thrift store, not so much Calvin Klein.
 Christian Siriano:
I'm used to seeing gorgeous gowns from the love of my life, Christian Siriano, so this minimal-ish (neon yellow skirt, anyone?) look is a nice change, while still staying true to Christian's aesthetic. 
 Derek Lam:
This silhouette is so early 90's. Not that I would know. I wasn't born till the late 90's,  so I'm not pulling this out of my mental archive or something. The fact that it's leather, though, gives it a more modern twist. 
 DKNY:
I was kind of in love with the DKNY S/S 2012 collection. It was so incredibly simple and gorgeous and elegant, and so not me. It was very refreshingly gorgeous. 
 Doo.Ri:
The way this moves is just too much. Oh, but in a good way.  The draping is beautificus. And I'm not  sure if that's leather, 'cause if it is, hit me up.
 Erin Fetherston:
I just discovered Erin Fetherston, and her style is pretty cute. Not completely me, but I liked the mix of the 90's-esque dress with the 60's mod styling. It could be the costume for a movie called, "Twiggy Time Travels." 
 Jason Wu:
I'm not a fan of hot pants/diaper shorts, but the rest of the outfit is so cute, I couldn't resist. Me and a good bow are pals. Good buds. 
Jil Sander Navy: 
I really liked Jil Sander Navy's collection this season.  A lot of it was simple with a twist, which is always something a designer can rely on. This look felt much more me than the others: bright colors/prints and an oversized army trench coat. This reminds me of a much more high-end "Freaks and Geeks" look.
 Jill Stuart:
What'd I tell ya 'bout yellow? I've always been a fan, and some people are like, "Ew it's gross getitawayewwww." I'm a lover of the entire ROYGBIV spectrum. No discrimination here. Point is, yellow's a-comin' for ya. Ya hear?
 Marc by Marc Jacobs:
And what else did I say about colors? Orange, was it? Yeah, I thought so.
 Michael Kors:
Mr. Kors took a different approach this season: tribal/safari. He somehow rocked it. I've never been a die-hard Kors fan, but I did like a few pieces from this collection a lot. It's chill, while still looking chic.
 Peter Som:
Everyone's been talking about the gawgeous prints at Peter Som, but I was more into this two-piece high leg slit (nearly) cobalt blue gown. It's incredible. I want it. GIMMEGIMME!
 3.1 Phillip Lim:
Funny story about Phillip Lim: I met him today, and screened his new collection. And I'm still swooning. At first glance, it's not as much as it is once Phillip explains the concept. On a visual note, the flow of the fabrics is too luscious for words. And pastels are always cute. Always. Sometimes Easter, but always cute.
 Prabal Gurung:
Another designer who didn't go minimal. I must admit, it doesn't fit into the '90's theme, but just thought I'd toss it in, 'cause I like purple. 
 Rag & Bone:
Slouchy pant? Check. Loose top? Check. Knitted cardigan? Check. Goggles...? Check. 
 Rebecca Minkoff:
Again, not so '90's, but I still dig white lace. Not over that summer trend quite yet. Hey, it's not fall until September 23rd, okay?
 Reed Krakoff:
I thoroughly enjoyed Reed Krakoff's collection. It was elegant and chic and chiffon-y and silky and yummy. And sheer. Scrumpdiddlyupmptious in my book!
 Tibi:
I. LOVE. TIBI. Please, check out the whole collection. You will not regret it, not for one second of your life. JUST LOOK, RIGHT UP THERE. Go. 
 Yigal Azrouël:
Can orange leather palazzo pants make a comeback if I've never seen anything so genius before?
 Zac Posen:
Like Christian Siriano, I'm used to seeing sexy stuff from Zac Posen. Nothing changed in that respect this season, except for this cutesy, lacy, pretty maxi dress. 10 points for Zac!


I hope you had as good of a NYFW as I did, 'cause mine was pretty damn good. 
Only 3 more fashion weeks to go...until next season. 

Remember to enter my giveaway! The only person that loses anything is me: my shorts. You have everything to gain, including my shorts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!