Sunday, September 11, 2011

Let's Go, FNO! (Hoo Hoo)

That was me doing a fashion week parody of Miley Cryus' song "GNO." Personally, I'd take FNO over GNO any time, but I guess Miley and I never did share the same values.

Anywhoozaleez, here's the time when I show/tell you all about my fabulous Fashion's Night Out. And let me tell you, it was da bomb. Bom shiggity, if you will. And if I were you, I would.

Oh, btdubs, Fashion's Night Out happened to fall on the evening of my first day at LaGuardia, which I love. Two reasons why: 1) my art teacher is the cutest thing and 2) our bell is jazz music. Jazz I tell ya! How snazzy is that? Snazzy jazz. Okay, now I'm done. (I hope you know what this means. This means you get to see my first day outfit. Yeah. There's a story that goes with that, too.)

Back to FNO: my mom and I started off in the meat-packing district, chillin', ya know, the yooj. Free food, free drinks. Meh. I had planned the night before a whole list of places I thought were worth going to, including their address, time and who would be there. That's how I knew that the Man Repeller and the Glamourai would be at the Coach Boutique on Madison Avenue and 57th Street from 7-8 pm. So that's where we headed. And guess who I spotted there? Kelly freaking Framel, aka the Glamourai. She was right there. I did this creepy thing where I lurked at her side for approximately 20 minutes, pretending to examine the products in the store and take pictures, when in reality I was awaiting my chance to jump in and talk to her. Hers was the practically the first blog I read for gooseness' sake.

After creeping a considerable amount, I finally got to talk to her, and she was as sweet as could be. I gave her my business card, and got a few picz with her (scroll down to see!!), taken by none other than the Jeremy that takes her pictures on her blog. Now his pictures are on my blog. Cray-cray stuff, am I right? (Or am I left? That's the real question at hand, if you ask me. But you shouldn't've have asked me, because that's not the real question at hand.)

Then, I spotted Leandra Medine. And, being my dorky little self, went up to her again (I think she remembered me though, unless she was faking it) and asked some lame little question about how she became successful so quickly. The conversation concluded, and I walked away. Then I was like, "Sh*t, I just met the Man Repeller twice in two days and I did not get a picture with her once. So I walked back up to her again and I literally said, "Hi Leandra, I promise I'll stop stalking you after this, I just wanted to have a picture with you." And just as I handed my camera off to another woman who was going to take our picture, Leandra turned and started talking to someone else. She told me, "Don't leave, we'll get that picture." So I was thinking, "Awesome, she's not creeped out yet." So I wait. And wait. And wait. And I'm still there, kreepin' it up, and she's mingling away, and just as someone was about to snatch her away and take her upstairs to sip cocktails, I stepped in and said, "Sorry, before you go upstairs, would you mind just taking that picture?" And her face falls just a smidge, but a large enough smidge to worry me that I have, after all this time, creeped out the Man Repeller. I had essentially repelled the Repeller. I can't tell if that took immense skill or was just dumb.

Back to my winding story. We were at the part where her face fell a smidge, and she said, "Oh, yeah, okay." And I handed the camera to my mom, who attempted to take the picture with the camera off, and she was like, "It's not working," and I was like, "Maybe try turning it on, that might work," and then she finally took two pictures. I was a little annoyed that I hadn't asked for the picture the first time and avoided all of the awkwardness, but the story wouldn't involve me if it weren't a tad awkward.

Let's take a quick commercial break and let our brains return to their regular mush state by looking at some pictures:

 Romper worn as top: Urban Outfitters (you can see it in its natural state here)
Skirt: Urban Outfitters (yes, again, who do you think I am?)
Shoes: Converse (designed by me)
Lipstick: Galeries Lafayette Studio Makeup in Pink Flamingo

During the school day, I had my green army jacket that I got from Hamlet's Vintage, but it was rill hot outside so I didn't wear it.

 Me, awkwardly trying to tame my hair as the wind blew obnoxiously.
Here's a good time to tell you that story about this outfit. Funny thing is, I wore this romper to my first day of 8th grade, except for I wore it with tights, my Charlie and Robin cardigan and black flats. Oh, how my style has changed. And evolved. Sort of like Darwin's finches, which I was forced to read about for my Living Environment class, in which my teacher has us call her Ms. G. And she's a g.

 Notice the name walking across the street to my right. Why, you ask? No reason. Just wanted to see if you'd actually do it.

 Me with Kelly Framel, the Glamourai, her looking spectacularly chic, and me looking dorkalicious with my backpack on.

 Left to right: the Glamourai, the Man Repeller, and Emily from Into the Gloss. Nothing ya didn't already know.

 Me and Leandra, me again wearing my dorkpack.

 Men in drag spotted at the Coach boutique, and doing a damn good job of it, too. He's got serious balls to wear something like that in public (pun intended).

Aight, before we continue looking at pictures, I must tell you about the next part of my night so you understand the context. After we left Coach (and after my mother purchased for me my very own FNO t-shirt, which you'll see quite soon on this very blog), I consulted my list, and decided we should go to Bergdorf Goodman. This was probably one of the best decisions of my life.

When we arrived, I saw Ne-Yo dancing in a window, and then Whoopi Goldberg discussing facial hair (...and some other people, she wasn't talking to herself). The first thing my sister said when I told her later was, "Well, that's something you can check of your bucket list." Too true.

After our Whoopi sighting (an event so exciting about which one might say, "whoopee!"), we went across the street to the other part of Bergdorf Goodman and went up to the 3rd floor, because supposedly Jason Wu was there. I loved Jason Wu's F/W 2011 collection. Loved. It. I cajoled my mother into staying so that I could meet him and get my FNO shirt signed, maybe slip him a business card. As I was waiting in line, I saw none other than Iris Apfel herself, wearing her signature glasses and standing in front of a long runway-like table which had puppies in red feathery dresses on it. Classiq Iris.

Once we'd waited a considerable amount of time for Mr. Wu and talked with the people around us, I finally got to him, and he signed my shirt, I gave him my card, and I took a picture with him. Three icons in one night? "How is this fair?" you may ask, and I shall reply, "It is not."

That about concluded my night. By this point, it was practically 10 pm, and I had school the next day. Typiqual me, gallivanting around Manhattan on a school night. The first school night, no less.

 Whoopi and the Knights of the Round Table. If that were a book title, I'd read that shiz up like there was no tomorrow.

 Whoopi Goldberg's current mood: disapproving.

 What a sharp kid. Too spiffy. Notice how his tie matches his pocket handkerchief, and his jacket is red. In case you hadn't noticed. 


 Iris Apfel, rockin' the mermaid look and going blue and green.

 Me and Jason Wu! Wu-hoo! (I am just rocking these name puns today.)

Oh, and this was forgotten from yesterday's post. It's what I wore to the IFB Conference. Photo by Daxia of Silk and Satan.

Dress worn as top: Urban Outfitters
Skirt: made by me (it's that pleated one I was telling you about here)
Shoes: Converse (designed but not made by me)

Lookin' pasty. What's new.

Alright, that's two blogposts that I was behind on that I have checked off my list. Only eight more things left on my list.

I'm still trying to manage the whole school/blogging/fashion week thing, but I'll try and right all my posts for the next week later today so I don't have to worry about it. The only problem with that is that we'll all be a week behind!! Oh no. I think I'll be able to manage it better once fashion week's over. Only time shall tell, young grasshopper.

1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!