Wednesday, September 21, 2011

NaïS


At IFB Con I met a woman named Anaïs, and I talked to her initially because I loved her outfit. Then I found out that she's a French lingerie designer. She has a brand called NaïS, and it's awesome. I'm not into the whole Victoria's Secret bombshell thing, so that's why I asked Anaïs if I could feature her on my blog. I conducted an interview with her that you can read below. Also be sure to check out her website

Here's a few tidbitties of information about the brand: 

NaïS is a new concept of Urban-crafted lingerie and loungewear. This is a designer brand with a positive spirit that takes its inspiration into the urban culture, street art and retro vibes.
It is a comfortable and easy-to-wear line of crafted items made locally for a daily and sustainable usage.
We are making fresh collections with new type of shapes, off-beat colors and smooth fabrics.
We created NaïS to prove that lingerie can be a part of fashion, and that you can be trendy when it comes to your underwear.
We believe that American women are looking for designer collections that focus on the comfortable garments that they can wear every day.
And most importantly, we want to bring some fun into everyday life!


And now for the interview:
 
Odelia: Where do you live? (the city and/or country is sufficient)
 
Anaïs: I live in Brooklyn, Bushwick exactly. That's not the most beautiful neighborhood in NYC, but let say that's interesting... I am from France originally.

O: What is your profession? 
 
A: I am a fashion designer. I am running my own brand, NaïS, with my business partner. The launch of the brand is planned for January 2012. Exciting!

O: When did you start designing? 
 
When I started drawing! I filled pages and pages of princesses dress... More seriously, I went to ESMOD in Paris to study fashion design and pattern making, but before, when I was in middle school/high school, I was customizing a lot of clothes. I don't remember dreaming about another type of job.

O: Have you always designed lingerie, or have you explored other types of apparel as well? 
 
A: During my studies, I learned how to design fashion in general, more focus on women's though. I did a bunch of different internships, from couture to accessories. But it's been around 4 years that I am in the lingerie business.

O: Where do you find inspiration? What and/or who inspires you?
 
A: I am really curious, so I always find new magazines, communities, events. I love to mix different cultures. All of my friends are totally different from each other, and it is stimulating. I don't like to be part of one community, I like to be part of thousands. I will always be a big fan of Christian Lacroix's collections, that was just the most amazing haute couture for me. I definitely consider the "Belle epoque" as the most inspiring one. Favorite artists are Mucha, Klimt, Andy Warhol, Basquiat... For an Icon, I would say Joséphine Baker. And I like to follow the street art, urban culture in general. And I almost forgot, I buy hundreds of vintage laces every year. 

O: What are your favorite songs or musical artists at the moment? 
 
A: Right now I have this 90' hiphop period that I listen a lot, J Dilla, Kaze, Snoop Dog... I love "the uncomfortable truth" Nneka, "the faith of a child" Lenny Kravitz, "raggamuffin" Selah Sue, "Otis" Kanye West and Jay-Z, I can go like that all day! As far as new talents, I would say Laetitia Dana who is amazing in concert, and Moon Hooch that I discovered when I arrived in New York.

O: Would you say that the design process is difficult, or does it come naturally to you?  

A: It is not a regular flow of design inspirations. I have weeks full of ideas, that I don't need for the moment. And sometimes when I need it, the inspiration is not here. But anyway, I always keep a stock of ideas in a corner of my brain. But what I absolutely need to design good products is to brainstorm with others.

O: If you weren't a designer, what would you like to be?
 
A: Wow, that's a tough one...I've never thought about that... I am sure that anyway I would be frustrated!!! 

O: Do you have any advice for young (and even not so young) people who wish to have a career in the fashion industry, especially as designers? 
 
A: Never think that designer is an easy job. You definitely have to learn and be good at the technical part. When you design something you have to know how to make it from a blank paper to the final prototype. And I think that being a good designer is to be able to adapt your work to every different brands and at the same time to keep your own style.

O: Who are your favorite designers?
 
A: Christian Lacroix = God
On another level, I think Jean-Paul Gaultier has an unlimited creativity. Madame Grès showed to Fashion how a brand can be timeless. Matthew Williamson, Ricardo Tisci, Sarah Burton are the ones who pop-up. 

O: Where do you buy your clothing?
 
A: Honestly, I am really average for that. Mango, Zara mostly, Aritzia and Urban outfitters sometimes. Osmose, Cosmo, André for shoes. Thrift stores when I have time.

O: What are your 3 favorite pieces of clothing from your wardrobe right now? 
 
A: High rise mini skirt with a Native pattern from Rojas, Huge necklace with wood and transparent beads from Aldo, my African wax headband (from myself, lol).

O: Are there any trends you're looking forward to trying out this season? If so, which one(s)?
 
A: I love this white/beige winter trend, I think it is definitely classy and feminine. Houndstooth are back, and I am so glad, that's my favorite pattern for the winter.
I think I'm in the preppy/ethnic spirit right now (a little bit of 70's inspiration). 

O: Anything else you want to say?
 
Thank you for your questions! 





Follow my blog! If you don't know how, CLICK HERE and follow these easy peasy lemon squeezy instructions. Being a follower brings you one step closer to my heart. 


Enter my giveaway! Please! Free shorts! Yeah! 

4 comments:

  1. very interesting. Congratulations and good luck to Naïs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, love her products. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Anaïs! Thank you for posting about it on your blog!

    Thank you to larrybird and Jane Alisa!
    If you guys like interviews, I'll be sure to do some more!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!