Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tibi Fall 2012

The Tibi Fall 2012 show was straight up phenomenal. I thought I'd open with that just to preface how amazing the collection is. My photography does not do it any justice, so please view the ENTIRE collection here (it's well worth your time). 

You already saw what I wore to the show, so now it's time to see what the models wore to the show. And I'm not talking about the ones who sat front row, like Hanneli Mustaparta. I'm referring to those who walked down the runway, like Lindsey Wixson, Elsa Sylvan, Suzie Bird and obviously several more. It's not like the three of them could've shown a thirty-eight-piece collection in a timely manner. 

If you recall Tibi's stuff from last season, then you'll know that it was all about minimalism, colorblocking and simple silhouettes. This season, not much has changed, except for the intense and extremely prominent menswear influence. The designer, Amy Smilovic, was inspired by the nineties (who isn't?), her favorite era ("The Narciso-wearing Gwyneth Paltrow, not the leg-baring Pucci Gwynny"), as well as the Beatles 1960s. So basically it's a combination of two of the best decades fashion-wise (that's not really fair to say, but for the purposes of now let's pretend this is true), which equals mega beautiful modern clothing. There were a few dresses, but the ones that did occasionally pop out were loosely fitting--just the way I like them. The majority of the collection was dominated by the pants and suits in classic cuts. There were plenty of turtlenecks under boxy tops and cropped pants; some leather here and there; a mostly dark color palette with assorted splashes of color, like cerulean blue or teal; oodles and noodles of tartan; even a peplum showed its face. Needless to say, the collection had everything a kool kat needs: a green metallic pantsuit, sixties schoolgirl chic ensembles and flat ankle boots in various colors. Give me those three things and stick me on an island and I'm good to go. There's probably protein in the Lurex brocade used to make some of the outfits. 

The venue itself was packed, as you can see from my marvelous and ridiculously clear images (kidding). I got there at 5:45 p.m. for the 6 p.m. show, and the line was nearly out the door. Luckily I had my ticket already and was able to cut the line and go straight to the waiting area. And when I say waiting area, I mean a roped off section for us to stand in for 40 minutes. Yes, Amy Smilovic kept us standing there in high heels for over half an hour. I talked to a few really nice people, including Kia Denise, a fellow IFB-goer (we were carrying the same ASOS neon pink cut-out clutch that came in our goodie bags--oops). However, we soon became restless, and most people's feet were probably bleeding (I was anticipating this and wore platforms. Thank God for Max Azria, am I right?). They finally began shooing us into the Stage in groups of ten, and by some magical feat I was among the last ten to be allowed into the show. It was fate, I'm telling you. I was crammed in a sea of people at the back, way at the top, so much so that I could barely see. It was very different from sitting in the 5th row for the ADAM show in the same room. But I nudged my way in so I could at least catch snippets of the catwalk. It took me forever to get my camera's light settings correct, so I couldn't even shoot the first half of the show. I was a little caught up in the fact that Hanneli Mustaparta, Elin Kling and Taylor Tomasi-Hill were all sitting front row. I learned when I got home that Solange Knowles, as in Béyonce's sister, was also in the room, but I didn't see her. I was so upset. She's kind of my hair idol (besides Michelle Williamson, of course). I mentioned this the other day, but at the end of the show I went up to Hanneli and told her I'd met her last season at ADAM and that I love her blog, all of which is true. She thanked me very warmly and then proceeded to pet my arm enthusiastically and say that she loved my coat. I was literally about to die. Partly because Elin Kling was standing right next to her and I couldn't even contain myself so I didn't say anything. It may have also been due in part to the fact that Hanneli was wearing a black and white striped peplum shirt, but who's to say? I was worried I might say something incomprehensible in my excitement so I walked away. 

That's enough babbling for me--onto the show. 

Photos by me.

You can't see it too well, but those are palazzo pants disguised as a maxi skirt--a slightly more structured version of her genius pants from last season.

Burgundy Lurex jackets are a bit Balenciaga Spring 2012, don't you think? 

Bringing back green. People have neglected it as of late, and I don't know why. It's totally respectable.
Other things that are green: Taylor Tomasi-Hill's neon pants. Can you spot her? If you can't you must be blind, or something. 

This is that metallic green pantsuit I was referring to. 
Oh yes.

Leather trenchcoats are now a thing. Amy has made them a thing.

Boxy shirts over turtlenecks with matching cropped trousers? I'm so down.

That is, in fact, a leather dress, to quell your queries. 


Bird prints are so cute and at the same time feel somewhat literary, as though you should be sitting in a Blue Ribbon tea shop while wearing them. Or in Portland. Obviously the designer has been watching some IFC lately. 


Cerulean! Wooo (rhymes with blue!)!

The model in the middle is Lindsey Wixson. That's about as close to her as I'll ever get. 

Elin Kling. 'Nuff said.

Neon colors were a theme of the night. I also totally loved the woman on the left's glasses frames. They're German, from a brand called Schnitzel. 

Since you couldn't really see the show too well from my photos, here are my favorite pieces, taken from style.com.

          

          

          

          

 Alright. That took an hour. So much for studying!


Tomorrow I have my last two shows of this season: Rochambeau at 10:30 a.m. and Farah Angsana at 5 p.m. I'm so excited to be back in the tents instead of freezing my butt off outside, people watching. Get ready for printed trousers and gorilla arms!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!