Saturday, February 18, 2012

Geoffrey Mac Fall 2012

Despite the fact that New York Fashion Week is long over (it's been three days, can you believe it?) and the fashion world has relocated to London for the week, I have yet to cover four of the six shows I attended. That leaves Geoffrey Mac, Mathieu Mirano, Rochambeau and Farah Angsana. And street style. And IFB Con, which I will write about for Chictopia, so be sure to check that out on Tuesday (I'll link it from here, don't worry). Also I'll be writing an article for the Huffington Post about my fashion week adventures. Think "Indiana Jones Conquers Lincoln Center." Basically, I have a shiz ton to blog about.

Last Saturday afternoon, I went down to the Exit Art Gallery on 10th Avenue for the Geoffrey Mac runway show. It was a small venue with only three rows on either side of the catwalk, leaving me with a second row seat. Livin' the high life. You saw what I wore to the show the other day, but despite my tights-covered legs, I was still shaking shivering in my boots glitter platforms. Prior to the show, I met some really nice people, among them Emily McDermott, an NYU student, journalist and intern at Harper's Bazaar. I was drawn to her by her fire engine red coat and Ginny Weasley-red hair. When I found out where she works my brain did a backflip and for a split second I may have felt the urge to stab her out of jealousy. ...Kidding.

The show began about fifteen or twenty minutes later than the invitation said (better than Tibi, who left us hanging for a solid forty minutes), and I was immediately transported backwards and forwards in time, simultaneously. How is this possible, you may ask? The clothes were futuristic and exciting, but the hair and make-up were screaming "1960s." I couldn't really hear them all too well, though, because the DJ was blasting that music. I could almost feel the beat playing in my body and said sensation brought me back to the dark bar/bat mitzvah days of 7th and 8th grade (this is the point at which I shuddered involuntarily). But if I could hear them, that's what they'd be saying.

There were a lot of bright colors: turquoise (a suspected pre-fall trend as well), yellow and red among them, but there was also a great deal of black and white (a color palette that dominated at Alexander Wang). There was leather and Lurex and pointy apparatuses protruding from hips and shoulders, not unlike the Devil-inspired bones on Lady Gaga's body. Above all, however, there was an overarching message of connecting the past with the present and linking it all to the future--it shows how we can look at what has happened before but we can't dwell on it: we must move forward and do something new. By combining Brigitte Bardot and Lady Gaga into each look, it merges the two time periods together into one modern and fresh collection.

It's photo-time, methinks.

Check out the volume of that hair. I don't have enough hair to even do that. I'd have an afro.

I love a dress with a cool back. Slap some leather on and you've got yourself a winner.

Exhibit A: Turquoise eyeshadow.

Lady Gaga shoulders, example number one.

Exhibit B: Turquoise dress (with a bright red lining, no less).

Exhibit C: Turquoise top and poppy red pencil skirt. It's like the primary colors on drugs.

Wacko shoulders, leather and turquoise all rolled in one. Hit me up.

Exhibit D: Turquoise dress #2. See also the huge shoulder blocking one-fifth of the shot. As if you could miss it. 

Black and white is definitely a trend for fall 2012, but it would be unlike good ol' Geoffrey to use the classic color combo conventionally (alliteration!). 

Knitted Gaga shoulders with a leather harness-type-doohickey. I think that speaks for itself.

Psychedelic Gaga. 
 
This is the bottom half of the woman sitting in front of me. The paillette dress was a J.Crew sample. I kind of loved how all three textures and colors meshed together so well.

The two supa-chic and mega-nice Canadians I saw outside the show (what Canadians aren't nice?).

Three down, three to go. London Fashion Week began on Friday, and I have yet to look at the New York shows. Please help me.

Happy weekend/February break!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!