Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Why Wear a Collared Shirt When You Can Wear Just the Collar?

Today was my last day of 8th grade and of middle school. I know that it should have been terribly sad, considering the fact that I am not coming back to the same school next year for the first time ever, but I was surprisingly calm and collected. That might be because I barely said goodbye to anyone. My whole class basically left before I got a chance to do so, because I went up to the 6th and 7th grade classrooms to see my little friends there. They're a bit obsessed with 8th graders. It gets creepy at times but it's cute.

I guess.

I can't tell if the lack of closure is going to screw me over mentally and emotionally later, or if it's for the best. It's totally going to hit me at some random time, like when I'm taking my über important math regent tomorrow. That'd really suck.

After graduation, my two best (male) friends, Marcelo and Ben, dragged me up the street to a really fancy restaurant called Da Silvano. For 10 years, I've wanted to go to either Da Silvano or Bar Pitti (the other really fancy restaurant that is directly adjacent to it. Both restaurants have a knack for attracting very famous people. Some examples are: Lindsay Lohan, Gwen Stefani, Ashely Olsen, Jim Carrey, Jim Gaffigan, Matt Bomer and Rachel Roy, who I saw the other day and no one else recognized. 'Tis a shame. …I digress.), and today I finally did. It was quite exciting. After our very Italian and classy lunch, Ben left, but Marcelo, Mich (who joined us at the restaurant and just chilled) and I went to Lola's house. This is where the fashion part comes in.

A little after we got to Lola's, we decided to go out just as it began to rain. Marcelo had to rush off, but Lola, Mich and I went in to Housing Works, Angel Street Thrift Shop and Pippin's. These are all thrift stores. Except for Pippin's. Quick side note: the three of us, and in the past Edith as well, always go shopping for clothing/birthday presents/they are usually the same thing for me right after school gets out, and I was worried we wouldn't get to today. This was more like casual thrifting, but it was très fun. Back to the story. I've been meaning to go to some thrift stores because I have very low funds, but there are none in my neighborhood. Now here is the magic of thrift shops (and Pippin's): I got 5 awesome things for just under $54.

I got a pair of Abercrombie & Fitch flare jeans for $5 and a cute little Charlotte Russe open sweater vest for $10 at Housing Works, then a book for $1 and a Gap denim jacket for $18 at Angel Street, and finally I got a beaded collar for $19.60, with tax, at Pippin's.

YEAH, YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY. ALL THAT FOR UNDER $54. THAT IS BEAST.

I can't smush all of that wondrousness into one post, so I'm starting with the only one that I could easily photograph by myself and late at night, which is the collar.

While in Pippin's, a little jewelry/accessories shop in Chelsea, Mich found a little basket with three beaded collars from the 1950's in it. I immediately fell in love. I was inspired by the Man Repeller's post about Eleven Objects' detachable collars, but those were ridicky expernsive (that's not a typo, it's supposed to be said with a sassy accent of your choosing), so I sort of forgot about them. Then I saw these ones for $18, and I was like, "Yo, I gotta get on that." So I tried one on and bought it about a minute later. Check it out, homes!

 This is my lovely detached, beaded collar! It's as easy to wear as a necklace, so I'm gonna be wearin' dis thing awl day, erry day.

 Here it is "unfolded," if you will. I'm not sure how else to say it.

 And another, just because this lighting is a tad better.

This is my collar all clasped together, chillaxin' on the floor of my room.
I would just like to take this time to comment on the fact that while typing the word "chillaxin," Blogspot at first underlined it in red, telling me it was not a word, then thought better of it and took the red line away. I see that Blogspot's been reading it's fair share of Urban Dictionary, no?

I will display pictures of my new finds soon as well. I plan to wear as many of them as I can on Friday, at my birthday party. This should be good. I'll ask my friend Asha to bring her camera so that I'll have decent pictures, for once.

Peace out up.
Quoting Lil Jon is what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!