Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Quest Has Been Completed

On Wednesday, June 8th, 2011, my quest for the perfect shorts was completed.

Let me tell you the story. 

It was an outrageously hot day for early June (92 degrees Farenheit, Lola checked on her crazy high-tech iPhone that detects the temperature, or something), and Lola mumbled, "I should probably get a dress for graduation..." and I was like, "Let's go to Urban Outfitters!" But I didn't say it like that. I'm just trying to get to the point here, so I'm sparing you the other details of the conversation. So anoué (this is legitimately how you say "anyway" in Canadian French), we walked to the Urban Outfitters on 14th Street and 6th Avenue, our location of choice, and after perusing their large selection of cute, summery dresses, most of which were either too sheer, too inappropriate for an 8th grade graduation, too ornate or too expensive, we found an adorable white dress that felt like it was made of the vanilla frozen custard at Shake Shack put into fabric form. I apologize for that ridiculously long sentence. 

On our way to the dressing rooms, on the table that's right near the entrance, I saw them: the perfect shorts. There was a whole stack of them, in fact, in two different washes and--all in a size 34 waist, about 7 sizes too big. I was heart-broken, and had almost lost all hope, when I went to someone who worked there and asked if they had any more in a smaller size. She said these shorts were difficult because since they were taken apart and then re-sewn, they didn't really have sizes, and she'd try and find something "comparable." 

She came back 15 minutes later and said she'd set out a whole new stack on the table. Lola and I darted out of the dressing room and began sorting through the pile. I picked up two pairs, one in a light wash and a size small, one in a darker wash and a size medium, and tried both on. The lighter pair looked better, though still a little big, but the hem was a little funky, so I went to find another pair since there were so many. I went back to the pile and found another pair that looked similar, but were one size smaller (30 vs. 31), so I tried those on instead. At first, I thought they were too short. Like hot pants short. I was kind of uncomfortable stepping out of the dressing room to show Lola, they were that short. But we both agreed that they fit better, and that I could just cut the stitches that held the cuffs up (which is the first thing I did when I got home that night). 

And so, my 7 followers, I bought a pair of Urban Renewal Levi's Regular Fit 505 Waist 30 Shorts for $28, therefore achieving my goal. One down, one to go. (Overalls. See the end of this post to see where i mentioned this.)

Here are the shorts at their original length: 
See how short these are?! At my school, your shorts have to reach your fingertips when you put your arms by your side (a rule which we never really follow). I would have been crucified had I worn these to school without letting down the cuff.

And this is me wearing them, for the third time since Thursday. But only for half an hour yesterday, so really just twice. 
Shirt: Upson Downes
Sandals: Montego Bay Club via Payless



And there ya are! I'm quite certain that I'll be living in these shorts all summer. I'm not kidding. I will literally set up a small living space inside of them for myself between the months of June and August. They'll be sort of like my summer home. 

As an aside, last night was my 8th grade class's (I know that's grammatically incorrect, I just couldn't leave it at "class' " because then I'd read it as just class in my head, and that's not what I'm saying) graduation party and while every other girl wore either a dress or a skirt and top, I stayed true and typiqual to myself and wore a jumpsuit. Yep, I wore a fricking black, vintage 90's jumpsuit that used to belong to my mother, with heels of course, to a party. 

LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!