Monday, June 6, 2011

Dumpster Divin'

This is going to sound a little silly, but the other day (Friday, to be exact) Lola and I went dumpster diving for mannequins. It all started when I got a text message from my mother saying that Lola's mom had seen some mannequins that a fashion high school was tossing out, and did I want to go check it out? Naturally, I said HELL YES (but not to my mom, she would disapprove), and Lola and I went to 25th and 8th (I'm not exactly sure. Somewhere in that area anyway.) with Lola's mom and her friend.

We arrived at a dumpster, filled to the brim with destroyed and thoroughly abused mannequins of every shape, size and age (Lola's mom took home about 5 child-sized mannequins). I was looking for one with legs, one that would cost $450, excluding tax, at Mood Fabrics, the greatest fabric store ever, and the official fabric store of Project Runway. After taking out several dress forms and laying them along the dumpster, I finally found mine: a Superior Model Form Corp mannequin, size 9, and positively demolished. Not to the point that she can't be used, but enough to make my mom question whether there are bed bugs chillin inside the many holes. Thanks, mom, for always being so optimistic. 


Before I show you the photos I took of my currently unnamed mannequin, I would like to inform you that Lola and I decided to steal every piece of ribbon, shoelace or elastic and their accompanying pins and stick them on my dress form to take home. That's what all that crap is, just hanging out there.

This is my beloved mannequin. Just chillin inside of a sled. Nbd. 

These are those infamous bed bug-ridden holes I was telling you about.

And here's that sketchy red ribbon I stole. 

Sketchy red ribbon + sketchy elastic = über fun!!!!




















































































































This is where her head would be. And there's also a black shoelace strung across her chest. 


That's all for now, folks. I will alert you when she is named.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!