Sunday, June 12, 2011

I Dreamed a Dream

 Yes, I know that this is the 4th time that I've used a song name/lyric as a post title (Be Back Soon, I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor and Black Dress With the Tights Underneath), and this is the 2nd consecutive day that I've done it, but that's because this post is quite literally about my dream. And I also listened to that song today.


may will sound like every other person who wants this, but I want to be a fashion designer. I know that there are tons of people who say that, but I have been working towards it for years. I started using a sewing machine at age 6, and ever since then I've been dedicated to fashion design and art. I'm not yet able to put into words the reason why I want it so bad, but there is just beauty in clothing that's different from other forms of art. I'm not as intrigued by paintings and drawings as I am by clothing. That's partly why I've got this blog.


The reason I think I may be different from other people who want to be fashion designers is that I'm obsessed. I spend hours a day on fashion blogs, browsing clothing websites, reading fashion magazines, designing clothes and sewing. Last Sunday I started on a pair of lavender, high-waisted sailor style shorts, and I finished them today. I brought them to school throughout the week to work on them in my free time, and I worked on them on my subway rides to and from school. Sometimes I doubt my decision to go to LaGuardia as an art major instead of a singing major, but then I realize that I'm not obsessed with singing. Sure, it's fun and I love it and there's nothing like hearing a beautiful note and knowing you created it, but I'm not obsessed.


One of the people I admire, Nirrimi Hakanson, once said, "If you go through an entire day without doing something towards your dream, you're not obsessed enough to make it happen." I thought about that the other day, in order to make sure I was obsessed. I do something towards my dream everyday, and that's how I know it will come true. You may still shake your head and sigh at my naivety, but that's alright because I know it's true and that's all that matters right now. 


But don't be fooled, this post isn't just about my lifelong dreams and aspirations. I wanted to show you all some pictures of my shorts! 


 Et voilà! (This is so cool: did you know that you can press option and that weirdo key next to the 1 button and it makes that backwards accent mark??? If I had a nickel for every time I could've used this when writing that 8-page essay in French, I'd have enough to fill a sock and hit you over the head with it. This last part was paraphrased from Benjamin Trachtenberg, I take no credit.)


 The thing about the pieces that I actually end up sewing is that they're never things that I ever drew designs for. I just kind of go for it. For these, I was like, "I want to make a pair of high-waisted shorts," so I took out my Soffe pajama bottoms, laid them out on a piece of fabric I haven't used in about 3 years and traced them out.


 I also was going to make them longer, and I remembered to extend the legs on the front panels of the pattern, but forgot to do the same for the back panels. So when I was sewing them together I was like, "WTF??!!" I was too lazy to re-do the back panels and just made them shorter.






 My camera doesn't know how to capture a clear shot of anything that's closer than 4 feet away.


 I was trying to show you all the buttons on these shorts, 'cause they're pretty cute. But you see how that turned out. What's cool about these is that they were my great-grandmother's. I found them in an old sewing kit she gave me, and I thought they looked really nice with these shorts.


Also, when I sew garments, they're never quite on-trend or anything, they're just things I make up as I go along. I really hope that changes as I learn more about sewing and stuff. 


These don't fit me at all, the waist is about 24 inches. I said that if they didn't fit me, I'd sell them, so that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll put them on Etsy, and I'll try and figure out how to make a page on my blog where I can sell stuff that I make or things that I want to get rid of, sort of like shopstolenfromgrandma.blogspot.com and shopflashesofstyle.blogspot.com. I may just have to make a new blog, like they did, and link it to this one, but it would just be called shopyoureatulle.blogspot.com, or something. 


One last thing before I go: could anyone who reads this post write a comment on it? I'm trying to figure out how many people actually read this. You can just write something like, "I read it." 


Sorry this post wasn't funny at all. For some reason, I'm not really in a funny mood today. I'll be back to normal soon though, I promise. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Odelia! Thanks for your comment in my blog. First of all, I'd like to say that you're an awesome writer! You definitely have a way with words that I admire. And second - yeah, I've only had my blog in English for a month, but I've been blogging every day since 2005. That's, what, six years? (Math was never my strongest subject, haha!) So I guess I've had quite a lot of "practice" before I started According to Annika. When I started it a month ago, I knew that I wanted the blog to get as many visitors and followers as possible, fast - because if I didn't, I realized I would get bored and not consider it worth all the time and effort I put into it. I spend at least three hours every day taking photos, editing them and writing the posts, and since I've been active on Lookbook for years, it was easy for people to find my new blog. So I guess that's why it all happened pretty fast!

    The reason why I started my blog is because I want to become a much better writer in English - I've worked as a journalist, columnist and photographer in Sweden for five years and even though I enjoy it, I would love to be able to write for magazines in English. To do that, I need to get a lot of practice, since it's my second language. That's why I put so much effort into it.

    I made a post with some advice on how to be a "successful" fashion blogger, here - maybe you'd like to check it out and see if you find any of it useful?

    Love,
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for responding to my comment and checking out my blog! I really appreciate the compliment as well!
    I had no idea that you've been blogging for six years--your English is impeccable! I was surprised to find out that you're Swedish and that English is your second language.
    I read the post that you linked me to, and that was very helpful. I think that this summer I am going to keep saving up the money to get a nicer camera so that I can feel confident about the photos that I put up. It will also be helpful, seeing as I'm going to an arts school next year!
    Thank you again for all of your help, and for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a collection of both secular and religious songs ("Silent Night" and "Amazing Grace" are truly moving works), and you can hear a sample of each track on the Amazon product page to determine if her version of the song is to your liking. We will be giving several of these albums as gifts this year since almost everyone knows about Susan's story and has heard her fantastic voice.

    This is a classic case of `Never judge a book by its cover' - Highly Recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this page of your blog and for the most part, I really did enjoy it, as I have just gotten really interested in sewing myself, and am combing the internet for ideas(:
    The shorts are super cute! I would have liked to see the shorts on someone, but I do realize they don't actually fit you...
    Anyways, happy blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!