Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bill Cunningham New York

This afternoon I saw the documentary on Bill Cunningham, "Bill Cunningham New York" with my friend Marcelo at the IFC Center in Greenwich Village. Ever since I saw an article about it somewhere, I've been wanting to see it. I'm someone who always puts things off until the very last possible minute, and then I'm screwed because I have no time left to do it. That's why I was like, "Let's go see this today, right now, or else I never will." I need to start making more decisions like that. I just think way too much. It's a serious problem.

But sometimes I also don't think enough. Like today, while at Urban Outfitters for the 2ND TIME IN ONE DAY, I didn't bother to think about how I'm going to be up by Central Park tomorrow for my birthday party, maybe I could swing by the Urban on 72nd and pick up a pair of those Cooperative Janis Platforms that I've gone to about 20 different stores for. It didn't even cross my mind. So when the woman at the one on 8th street asked me if I wanted to hold a pair there, I said no, then realized my mistake later and went back to the 14th street location that I'd been at earlier today to try and hold that pair at 72nd. After 10 minutes of waiting, the guy who was helping me came back and was like, "Yeah, the people at 72nd have never even heard of those shoes." That's the 3rd time this has happened today. Marcelo thinks I'm not meant to have these shoes, but I will have them, goddamnit. Before I go to California, at least, which is on the 22nd. I have a little bit of time. I'm thinking of just giving in and ordering them online, which I hate to do, but I may have to.

Back to the movie. You may know Bill for his sections in the New York Times, "On the Street"and "Evening Hours." For those of you who don't know, Bill Cunningham was the first street style photographer, and probably the most successful one at that. He is the sweetest, funniest, most down-to-earth, generous, adorable and incredible people I've ever heard of. He's 82 years old now, so he's been at this for about 50 years. He was a milliner before he got into street style photography, but now that's literally all he does. He bikes around the city, just waiting for wonderful clothing to cross his path. He party hops all night and takes pictures there as well. He barely eats, and he used to be one of the last two residents of the artists' studios in Carnegie Hall. They eventually kicked him out. Anyway, it's a fantastic movie that I highly recommend. You should definitely see it.

Here are some helpful links for learning more about the movie:
This is the main site for the film: http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/billcunninghamnewyork/
This is IFC's information about it: http://www.ifccenter.com/films/bill-cunningham-new-york/
This is the list of every place that it showed at or is showing at: http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/billcunninghamnewyork/playdates.html

Sorry that there's no pictures tonight; I was very busy today. I took my math regent, and saw a movie, and went to the gym, and went shopping (more like waited in Urban Outfitters while people looked for my shoes) and did 2 and a half hours of tedious work in my old school's library. There will be pictures of tomorrow very soon though: Edith and Asha are bringing their cameras to my party tomorrow!! I really wanted to wear my new platforms that I would've had tomorrow, but sadly I can't. I've decided in the past five minutes that I'm just going to give in and order them.

'Night, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!