Saturday, December 10, 2011

Trending Next Spring: Wearing Condiments

I bet $10 that you're utterly baffled by the title of this post. That was intentional. I'm just gonna let you stay like that for a minute while I continue to ramble on.

What I mean by "wearing condiments" is wearing the color yellow, specifically in shades of mustard. Take a moment for that to register in your brain, and then we'll move on.

People have this thing about the color yellow: they're always hating on it. I don't get why, though. I think it's beautiful. You never hear anyone say, "My favorite color is yellow." Right? That's discrimination, I tell you! Colorism, if you will. Designers are not generally biased against certain colors--that would be terrible, seeing as we take cues from them, and that would lead to the banishment of one of the members of the ROYGBIV family. This little anecdote is my roundabout way of saying that the time has come to make your closet look more like a pack of Skittles and explore the rainbow.

I can't ignore the fact that there's a reason why most people don't like yellow: it's not particularly flattering for everyone. It works really well on people with dark skin and fair skin, but not so much for people with awkwardly pale olive skin like me. The color makes me look like I'm about to vomit most of the time, unless it's the perfect shade (I do own one cotton mustard colored knit shirt). Since the problem really comes with choosing the correct hue, it's a good thing the designers are giving us such a wide variety next season (and this season, too, but I haven't got pictures for that). Let's take a look, shall we?

All photos courtesy of style.com.

Would you like some mustard for that dress? 


                                   Bill Blass                                                                       Tommy Hilfiger
          

                                    Carven                                                                           Karen Walker
          

                                Louis Vuitton                                                                Matthew Williamson
          

                                    Carven                                                                             Sonia Rykiel
          

                          Matthew Williamson                                                              Tommy Hilfiger
          

                                Rag & Bone                                                                    Carolina Herrera
          

Shades of sunshine: 


                               Alice + Olivia                                                                     Sonia Rykiel
          

                                     J.Crew                                                                            Tibi
          

                               Reed Krakoff                                                                       Sonia Rykiel
          

                                Sonia Rykiel                                                                      Mulberry
          

                                  Vera Wang                                                                       Sass & Bide
          

 Beyond the pale: 

                               Isabel Marant                                                                    Jill Stuart
        

                                 Paul & Joe                                                                         Prada
         

Versace

You are witnessing the breakage of a record: that was 27 photographs. In one post, all on one trend. There were originally 56 I'd selected from my archives of all the shows, which I then narrowed down to 28, and then edited down further once I put them in this post.

But in all seriousness, did you see that carpet/catwalk at Sonia Rykiel? That's some hardcore anti-colorism. You should learn a lesson from that. Don't hate, appreciate!

Incidentally (I've been reading "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" again, can you tell? Charlie says 'incidentally' nearly every other paragraph), while writing next week's Chictopia article, I came across a feature that Harper's Bazaar did about lace. They called it a "hot trend to try." Please note at this point that last week I wrote my Everybody Is Ugly article about lace and its trendiness. That is some serious fashion forecasting right there.

I'm just gonna keep on reminding you all to follow my blog if you read it often. I'm tryin' to bring that number of followers up a bit. Just click the big "Follow this blog" button below if you want instructions.

Happy trendspotting, guys! Oh, wait, just kidding, that's my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!