Thursday, December 29, 2011

Current Obsessions: Hagrid-Inspired Outerwear

If you know me at all then you know that I love Harry Potter and everything related to it (I stated it in my Blogspot bio on the left, just sayin'). That's why instead of just flat out saying that this post is about maxi coats, I'm referencing my good buddy Rubeus Hagrid, half-giant and fashion innovator. "Hagrid, a fashion innovator?!" you may scoff. "Yes!" I shall reply. Ever noticed how he is almost always wearing a floor-length coat, whether it's a furry one in the winter months or a lighter one in the summertime? In case you haven't noticed this, here is a photo that may refresh your memory:


"Just because he wears a long fur coat doesn't mean that he's a fashion innovator," you may counter. "Yes," I shall respond, "it does because maxi coats are a huge trend right now!" Then photographic proof would follow. Which will happen in a minute. But this post is not merely a trend post; if it were, I would have titled it "Trending Right Now: Hagrid-Inspired Outerwear." However, it is named "Current Obsessions: Hagrid-Inspired Outerwear," which implies that I am currently obsessed with floor-sweeping jackets. 

The other day, I saw a woman walking down the street wearing a floor-length black wool coat, and I was instantly jealous of her. I was a bit shocked at myself, seeing as I had never outwardly (or inwardly for that matter) expressed or acknowledged a penchant for garments such as that one. The thoughts passed and were unremembered until I was on Nadia's blog, FrouFrouu, where she was discussing her love for long coats, and I realized that I, too, love long coats. Then, last night I was looking at the Band of Outsiders F/W 2011 show when I saw a model wearing a white fur maxi coat and my immediate reaction was, "Can I be her." It wasn't even posed as a question. You'll see the photo in a minute and when you do you'll see how comfy-chic she looks. That's my favorite style and it's very difficult to pull off, but when it happens, it's magical. Scott Sternberg has somehow mastered the comfy-chic look, which makes Band of Outsiders one of my favorite brands ever. We'll discuss that at a later date. The sight of the maxi coat at Band of Outsiders triggered something in my memory--the fact that Rodarte did a bunch of floor-length coats in their F/W 2011 collection as well, and I vowed that I would go through my archives the next morning and do a post about it. That is what I did, except for in the afternoon. 

Without further ado, I will show you the photos I collected. 
All photos courtesy of style.com and harpersbazaar.com

Give into your animal instincts: 


                         Band of Outsiders                                                                            Missoni
   

                        Band of Outsiders                                                                 Alexander McQueen
    

Wooly mammoths are not extinct: 


                                     Céline                                                                                   Rodarte



Lightweight champions: 


                              M Missoni                                                                                   Rodarte
           

Chloé

I want to just cuddle up inside of one of those forever, hence why I am currently obsessed.

I would just like to point out that I wrote this post in the car ride to Boston today, and then my computer flipped out and I had to rewrite the entire thing. #Bloggerproblems (that's a pun because Blogger is the platform and I am a blogger). 

Enjoy the last few days of 2011 cuddled in a maxi coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!