Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dyeing: The Epidemic

I tricked ya there, didn't I? When people read the word 'epidemic,' they usually think disease, and then death, but if you read the word closely, there's an 'e' in there. Dyeing. As in the changing of one's hair color. Which is happening a lot. Especially among the youth. Especially among the youth at my school. As in every third person has an unnatural shade of hair. No joke, I know one girl with green hair, several with ombre'd tips and a few with random streaks of color.

I remember back in 5th grade, I dyed the tips of my hair fire engine red, then pink. I thought I was so cool...I was ten. No one was cool when they were ten. Especially not me. (This is the point where I involuntarily shudder while thinking about my early childhood.)

I began to notice the prominence of hair-dyeing when back in April, the Man Repeller (didn't see that one coming, did you?<--sarcasm) ombre'd her hair. That is when my obsession began. I mean, I'm obsessed with her, so by one of those stupid geometry theorems I learned at school, I am therefore obsessed with her hair. You'll see a picture below in a minute. I was considering trying it out (this was when I had long hair), but I didn't. I was not nearly as experimental with my hair as I am now, seeing as I'd had the same cut for nearly three years. There was also of course Alexa Chung's ombre'd bob, as well as Arizona Muse's, but other than those, I didn't pay much attention to the idea over the summer. As soon as I got back to school I had a reaction that can only be described by: holy bejeezus so much colorful hair. Literally so much. The thing is, I can't figure out where it came from. Which runways started the trend, or which people? I see no beginning except for Leandra, who can't have caused all this insanity. Sadly, not that many people know who she is.

I spent the past hour perusing the interwebs to find you all some good pictures of what I'm talking about, in case you've been living under a rock the past year.

Credits go to: manrepeller.com, jeangreige.blogspot.com, tumblr.com (not sure how to cite these; I'm not an avid Tumbl-er) and google.com.

The Man Repeller

Alexa Chung

Arizona Muse on the Stella McCartney runway

Madeline Pendleton of Jean Greige

Dianna Agron in "Glee"

Tumblr

Google

Tumblr 

Tumblr

Cool stuff, right? Yes, but it's not for everyone. If you want to dye your hair just 'cause everyone else is, that is just generally a bad motive. For everything. You'll deeply regret it if it's not right for your hair texture, color or cut.

Remember to follow if you're a regular reader and/or supporter of my blog!

Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!