Sunday, April 1, 2012

Clueless

I thought of titling this post something like, "As If!" but I decided that I should be straightforward for once. Here's the dillz: I watched the movie "Clueless" the other night with Octavia and Elly, and there's absolutely no way that someone can see that movie without being ridiculously inspired to wear mini-skirt dress suits in mustard yellow against her better judgement. Filmed in 1995, it is the quintessential '90s movie, portraying the most outrageous and bizarre fashions of the decade. I don't know if you remember when I posted about "Pretty in Pink" over the summer, but since I'm an even bigger fan of the 1990s than of the '80s, I feel like this post is even more inspiring, if it's possible. Regardless, you need to see both movies. Right now. And...GO! Except for don't actually leave yet, you need to look at these pictures. 'Kay thankz. 


This was of course not my first time seeing "Clueless," but I think I appreciated it the most this time. I totally love Paul Rudd (he smiled and waved at me once! I almost died), Alicia Silverstone and Brittany Murphy are hilarious and whenever I see Donald Faison I think immediately of Turk from "Scrubs." I paid serious attention to the clothing this time, though, so if you go to school with me, expect some of the influence to show through. Maybe. Dressing like you're from the '90s is tricky stuff, if you're not really in the '90s. People judge you. A lot.

If you've never seen this movie and can't imagine these outfits I'm referring to, take a gander at the photos below. You shan't regret it.

Photos via Tumblr. <--Do not judge me, it's just the easiest place to get pictures of obscure things. 


Tai Fraiser, the gal from New York. She's not a virgin, but we don't know if she can drive. 

Cher Horowitz, rocking the cropped-sweater-over-button-up-shirt look à la Phillip Lim. Peep the color coordination. I love it.  

Guys, I'm going to bring back berets. I've been thinking about it for a while, and it's about to happen. Get ready. Also, note Dionne's cray-cray hat. Gotta give D some props for courage. 

She is beautiful. I want her hair. And her eyes (we noticed that everyone in this movie has beautiful eyes; they're either green or blue or gray or yellow...what is this madness??!!) And her wardrobe. Like, so badly. 

I actually have a dress that looks like Dionne's--vintage Nicole Miller. I'm whippin' that baby out for sure now.

"OH MY GAWD CHER!" That's probably what Tai was saying. She had this great New York accent. 

Da cast! Not sure what's in D's hair, or where Josh (Paul Rudd) is going. 

Aww shux, ain't she just the cutest thang you e'er saw? 

Not gonna lie, I'm not really sure what is on Cher's head. This was most definitely not in the movie.

Murray and Dionne: the funniest couple ever. Things to take note of: Floral crop cop, crazy shiz in D's hair, nose ring and the backwards cap on Murray. Oh so '90s.

The phone really does it for me. 

The color/pattern coordination and knee-high socks really are the give away that these girls are not from this century. Maybe I'll start matching my outfits like this? It's a spring 2012 trend, isn't it? HEY! I bet the designers all had a huge sleepover and watched "Clueless" and were all inspired to do the matchy-matchy suits thing. That's definitely what happened.

Always shopping. 

Sheer shirts are also making a comeback this season. I'm tellin' ya, the 90's are having a massive moment right now. 

This movie is so wonderful--I feel like my whole wardrobe is going to go through a shift now. As soon as I have the things on my wishlist, I'll basically be a new person! But not really. Just a person with better clothes. Now if I could just find the funding for this little project of mine...#whitegirlproblems

In other news, on Thursday I was alerted that I won the Tuco x Jean Greige giveaway and I'm receiving a t-shirt that says "You're So Vain" on it, but the letters are backwards so it's like you're looking in a mirror. Geddit? Vain, mirror? I think it's terribly clever, and I'm not one to wear t-shirts. I have a feeling the two of us will become good friends very quickly. That's my second free shirt in one week (I'll explain on Tuesday)--I'm on a roll here! (Rollin' with the homies! That's a "Clueless" reference, just btdubz. One of the best quotes if I do say so myself.)

I apologize for the long amount of time that passed between this post and the last post; I've been so tired and busy and lazy and procrastinational (new word! Add it to da lexicon!) that I haven't even kept up with the blogs that I read or done much physical movement. That's how you know I'm seriously having issues. I should be restored to (nearly) full health soon, hopefully, because spring break begins at the end of this coming week. Thank the Lord! Except that as soon as break begins, I can't eat bread or anything like that the entire time. Some vacation that is.

Just...a few more...days...I can...endure......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!