Monday, April 16, 2012

Can I Have Your Closet: Nora DellaFera

If I were to describe Nora DellaFera in a few words, it would be as a beautiful vintage golden-haired goddess of sorts. Nora's that girl that wears extremely one-of-a-kind clothing and red lipstick nearly every day so that she looks like she's stepped out of an old film whenever you see her. Wait...you don't have one of those at your school? Huh. Hashtag arts school swag (please know that I don't often use the word "swag," it just felt appropriate in this situation. Nothing's more obnoxious than using that word and a hashtag when this is clearly not Twitter or the ghetto.). 

Nora is a drama major at my school, so perhaps her love of vintage clothing is related to the costumes involved in theatre? Just throwin' that thought out there, makin' connections. Making soup? Maybe. I've gone back to school as of today and the noggin's a little wacko. Please try your best to enjoy the insanity that shall be spewing forth from my brain/fingers. It's like a party. Une boum, if you will. I digress. Due to the avid Anthropologie-website-stalking that Octavia does regularly, I have learned that Nora also loves to shop at Anthropologie because Octavia can spot an Anthro dress anywhere. That place is the shiz, so by the transitive property Nora is the shiz. This is a true fact. It is quite evident that you will most likely not gain any further substantial information about this wonderful girl if I continue to write because of the disconnect from my brain to my phalanges, so how about you just read the super-informative interview we did? 

Odelia: How would you describe your style?
Nora: I really like old stuff, vintage stuff, I have—I mean, I really like fifties, sixties, forties...I love twenties, but it's too expensive so I don't really have any of that. I mean, I love Victorian, [giggles] so sometimes I try to do Victorian hairstyles, but I don't have enough time, so I really love anything from the 1800's to the sixties. I tend to wear more like fifties, sixties stuff, 'cause it's just kind of more practical, I guess, but yeah. Anything old I'll pretty much go for. [Laughs]
Odelia: Who are your fashion icons and who do you admire aesthetically?
Nora: I don't have a lot of really specific people that I admire...I more sort of admire the general styles of the eras and the people who represent that, so I guess Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, all those people who represent the style of that era, but not a lot of people specifically. So more just the general population.
Odelia: Where are your favorite places to shop?
Nora: Mainly thrift stores and flea markets. Sometimes when I—I'll go to Buffalo, where my grandma lives and there are loads of thrift stores that have amazing stuff really cheap. I love Beacon's Closet...there's like, a strip of thrift stores down 5th Avenue in Brooklyn. The flea market though, definitely.
Odelia: Do you have any specific flea markets that you could suggest in Brooklyn?
Nora: Well the Brooklyn Flea is the one that's most practical for me so I go there like every weekend. [Giggles] And then recently, actually my mom and I took a weekend trip to the Brimfield Flea Market, which is in Brimfield, Massachusetts. It's like, incredible, it's the biggest flea market in the world, and it's just fields and fields of a million vintage vendors and handmade stuff, it's just incredible. And I love shopping on Etsy as well.
Odelia: If you could own one item right now that you don't have, what would it be?
Nora: It would probably be like, a legit really really nice beaded twenties dress, like a drop waist, silk, with hand glass beading...I'm just obsessed with the twenties [giggles] but I don't have really anything from it because it's so expensive and hard to find.
Odelia: Would you say that fashion is a big focus in your life?
Nora: Yeah! Um...yeah, it is. [Laughs] I spend all my free time on Etsy and on Ebay and looking at old stuff so I guess it is. My mom's always been really into fashion. She's more into high fashion and I'm more into vintage, so she has a lot of designer stuff that she's really into so I guess I get some of my inspiration from her, too and we both sort of revolve our lives around that, so that's sort of it.
Odelia: So I know that you wear red lipstick a lot.
Nora: Yeah...[Laughs]
Odelia: When did you start doing that?
Nora: I guess 8th grade, the beginning of 8th grade, I guess. I've always really liked red lipstick and I remember in like, 7th grade, I guess, or maybe summer going into 8th grade, I tried on red lipstick and I came downstairs and I was like, “Hey mom, do you like my red lipstick?” My brother looks over at me and he's like—I think he told me I looked like a prostitute or something, I don't know. [Laughs] Some rude remark by my brother, and my dad laughed, and I was like, “Ugh, I'm never gonna wear red lipstick!” But then in 8th grade Olive wore red lipstick, so I was like, [giggles] really inspired so I started wearing it like everyday, and now I have, you know, bright red and orangey red and dark red and rusty red and pinky red [laughs] and I have like, every shade of red lipstick that I wear every day.
Odelia: What's your favorite one? If you could choose.
Nora: My favorite red is probably MAC Russian Red. It's like a matte, bright, fire engine kind of classic forties red. I really like matte lipsticks, not shiny. This is actually kind of shiny [motions to face] right now, but I really like bright, matte, pigmented red lipsticks. 

Photos by me.
Golden hair: check. Red lipstick: check. Vintage clothing: check. Freaking amazing Woody-Allen-in-Annie-Hall-esque-sort-of-ish glasses: check. Fingers that are suspiciously on their way to making the "Bloods" gang sign: check. 

Now she's making a butterfly! The color-coordinated-ness of her outfit is crazy awesome; I don't have the patience to match my lipstick to my outfit and my hair tie to my belt. Nor do I have more than one red lipstick or hair tie each, so that's out of the question. 

Ha! You thought it was a dress, did you? Well, so did I, until Olive called out from the sidelines, "Nora, show her the pants," or something along those lines. It's a jumpsuit. What is this madness. I am in love. You know how much I adore jumpsuits; if you don't know, let's just say I wore one to my middle school graduation party. That is dedication. 

Don't you want glasses like hers? And the ability to wear red lipstick all day erry day? I totally would, except for the fact that wearing it makes me slightly paranoid...like, what if I get thirsty?? What happens then??? 2012 happens (the apocalypse). 

Check out the juxtaposition of Nora's skin to her lips and the two different colored walls: they're both shades of white and red, respectively. That fish cray, is it not?

Doesn't she make you want to live in a different era? You know where I'd be: nineteen-twenties Paris. Send me on my way, brudda. 

I have a few announcements for today. Tomorrow is this blog's one year anniversary, so expect happy fun times related to that. It's been a good year. We'll get more nostalgic tomorrow, don't you worry. 

I'd also like to make a shout out to my friend Charlianne because it's her birthday today. She's one of my most enthusiastic readers, she dresses really well and she's so, so, so sweet, so let's all wish her a mega happy birthday! Wooo! 

Okay, that's all for today! Enjoy the beautiful weather (wow, say beautiful one more time ever and see what happens) and rejoice, for it is spring, and there are beautiful (I did that just to spite myself) people like Nora roaming the earth. That is cause enough for celebration. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Blogday!!! Awesome year. Looking forward to the next year...

    Love,
    Your Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!