Saturday, January 7, 2012

Trending Next Spring: Frills and Furbelows

Alright, maybe not furbelows, but once again, it's an alliteration. That should quell any queries you may have about why I chose this title.

If you remember, last winter, or possibly the winter before, ruffles and sequins were a huge thing. My mom was in heaven; I was greatly despaired. I was never a fan of that sort of excess volume or sparkle (although I did wear a black sequined top yesterday, but the times they are a-changin'). You'll see in a few days/weeks that metallics and sequins are also a massive spring trend, so for those of you like my mother, rejoice! If you don't particularly like either of these options, you may learn to embrace them (there are some really cray-cray new ways they've been used this time around) or, you can just ignore them all together and wear some of these trends. Or, don't follow any trends at all. That's totally cool. I do that most of the time, even though I talk about trends a lot. It's always a big deal for me when I'm "on-trend."

Please note: this one does not have a lot of photographic evidence, but I assure you that it's at least a mini-fad. It's large enough to be recognized as a trend, though, so if you're religious about this stuff don't worry your little heads. Or big heads. I can't tell what size your head is from here.

The reason I don't really like ruffles is because they were always too girly for me. They also created a lot of unnecessary puff in places that didn't really need it (i.e. the hip region). But this season, the designers finally realized how unflattering that use of frills is and decided to do some more modern twists and waves. It's all very revolutionary, which is why I decided it was worth mentioning. Some people stayed true to the original function of flounces and used them to create voluminous skirts/tops, but for the most part the usages were quite innovative. You must be on the edge of your seat, waiting to see what I'm talking about, so without further ado, I give you: the pictures.

All photos courtesy of style.com.

Ruffles up on top: 


                          Alexander McQueen                                                              Givenchy
          

                            Christian Siriano                                                            Alexander McQueen
          

                                   Givenchy                                                               Yves Saint Laurent
          

Ruffles down below: 


                            Carolina Herrera                                                                   Chanel
          

                                   Givenchy                                                              Alexander McQueen
          


Alexander McQueen and Givenchy were really dominating this trend. Also, please take note of the fact that all of these outfits were worn with a pair of ankle strap sandals (except for the ones we can't see but we'll assume they are). The ones at Givenchy and Chanel are particularly charming. 

Here's a sad piece of news that just occurred to me the other day: I've been looking at all the Resort 2012 shows, hoping to do another trend series, but then I Googled it and found out that resort clothing goes on sale right now. They do the shows in June and then sell the clothing in time for winter vacation. So I've basically been breaking my neck (not literally, I'd be paralyzed) looking for trends that won't even be able to be put on this blog because by the time I've finished collecting my evidence, resort season will be over. I'm gonna keep doing it though, just for my personal archives. Next January, though, expect to see a whole ton of resort trends coming your way, with a few references to this season's clothes. Funsies!

Enjoy your weekend, y'all! I'm going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art tomorrow for the second time in the past month or so. I don't know what my school's obsession with the Met is, but it needs to stop. 

1 comment:

  1. This was very interesting! Also, it is the only time that I really wish I could afford extremely expensive clothing (shoes are another story; coveting Miu-Miu)) I LOVE the ruffly flowing look on the jackets. Thanks for sharing this, Odelia. Now I need to go find a third job!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!