Tuesday, January 10, 2012

CHICTOPIA SNEAK PEEK! It's Party Time! Arm Party Time, That Is

Here's a sneakety-peekety of this week's Chictopia article. It references Portlandia, my childhood obsessions and the Man Repeller.




Let me tell you a little story. When I was younger, I had a bit of an obsession with bracelets. Maybe obsession is the wrong word--unhealthy infatuation, maybe? I developed a collection of paper bracelets (you know, the ones you get from amusent parks and public pools) that are really intended for one-day wear; I had a set of 20 plastic multi-colored bracelets (four each of pink, green, blue, yellow and purple); I wore an assortment of handmade friendship bracelets as well. I was a wacko nine-year-old. This probably doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for a young girl, but for some reason, my family begged me to get rid of my jewelry (if you can call a piece of glazed neon green paper wrapped around a wrist "jewelry," but just go with it), but I refused. Over the years--yes, years--my sundry wrist coverings began to fall off or break, so I kept them in a box (this is something a mental hospital patient would do, probably). At some point, my wrists began to feel claustrophobic and I had to take off the plastic bracelets. In the end, I was left with bare arms, despite the fact that I had vowed to always have at least one thing on them at all times. Such was my sad life as a young child. (Well, my arms are not completely bare; I always have a watch on my left wrist and a hair tie and a braided silver bracelet from my grandma on my right wrist. These are permanent fixtures.)

The point of me telling you that long-winded tale about my odd childhood fetishes was to prove to you the importance of wrist jewelry. Before you close this window thinking, "I'm out, this girl is cray-cray," let me just conclude my anecdote by relating this to the ever-trendy Man Repeller. Last summer, she coined the term "arm party," which refers to wearing several multifarious bracelets on one's wrists. When she first started doing this, her parties were a bizarre combination of jewelry that somehow worked. They were a sophisticated and infinitely more expensive version of my arm parties that I hosted as a young girl. I was unintentionally on top of my jewelry trends as a child--though a few years before the time was ripe for arm parties to make their debut.

I got an email today from Urban Outfitters telling me about their new dress selection, and when I scrolled down, I saw a picture that said "WE LOVE: LAYERED BANGLES AND BRACELETS." 'Nuff said.


***
You're probably dying to find out what happens next, am I right? Read the rest by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!