Tuesday, January 3, 2012

CHICTOPIA SNEAK PEEK! "New Year, New You" Yeah, Right

Okay, ya got me, it's not really a sneak peek if it's already live on Chictopia, but just pretend.


Around this time every year, people start saying that in the next twelve months they're going to make drastic changes in their lifestyle. They're going to lose 50 pounds, stop drinking coffee, go vegan, spend less money and start taking zumba classes twice a week. Yeah, right. We all know deep down inside that we're never going to live up to our high expectations for ourselves, and by setting the standards high, we're also setting ourselves up for failure. By the end of 2012 you're going to look back on the year and think, "Crap, I did it again. I'm gonna do all those things for real this time." Yeah, right. Now, I can't control your life (that might be illegal if we're being very technical about it) and tell you what your New Year's resolutions should be but I can push you in the right (read: realistic) direction. As a fashion blogger on a constant budget, there are a few fashion-related things I'm planning on doing this year that you may want to do yourself.

1. Only shop during sales.
The thing that I absolutely love about the wacky way the fashion seasons cycle is that the winter merchandise starts being sold in September, so that by the time it's December everything is on sale, and it's finally cold enough to wear it. The same thing happens for the rest of the seasons. That means that there's no reason why I can't wait until November to go cray-cray with my wallet if I'm buying cold weather clothing. It doesn't really get super hot in New York until late June anyway, right?

2. If I must shop during non-sale season, thrift.
I am a strong believer in the magic of thrift shops. I've snagged a YSL sweater for six dollars, some flare jeans for four dollars, books for a dollar each, and I once saw a pair of Doc Martens for $28. That fish cray. Some people thing thrift shops are gross, or something outrageous like that, but magic is never gross. Have you ever seen Hogwarts? It's sparkling clean. ...In the common rooms. When Fred and George haven't been there recently. Whatever. The point is, thrifting is the best invention since sliced bread, so get yourself over to your local Buffalo Exchange (that's just an example) and get shopping. (Some even help charities, like Housing Works and Salvation Army.)


Click here to read the rest of the article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!