Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jason Wu For Target

Designer collaborations have been known to be kind of a rip-off. Not in the way that the actual products are illegitimate, but in the way that no one can actually buy any of the incredible discount designer merchandise except for the insaniacs (insane-maniac hybrid word) who go to Target at 2 a.m. and kill people by running them over in their frenzied state. That's why I was only able to get one blouse from the overly hyped Missoni For Target line (and a few headbands and hats, but that's not what I was after. My heart was set on a pair of knit shorts, which I never got). But I'm getting a good vibe from the Jason Wu For Target collection, because there hasn't been as much advertising for it as the Missoni one. Remember the larger-than-life-size doll at IFB Con wearing Missoni For Target clothing? That hasn't happend for our buddy Jason Wu...yet. 


I've had a special bond with Jason Wu ever since I met him at Fashion's Night Out--I'm obsessed with his work. If he ever somehow reads this, I would like him to know how much I admire his aesthetic and his tailoring. It's all so beautiful and fresh and clean and new and I'm freaking out. I'm gonna shut up and just get to the pictures. That is, the photos I selected from the lookbook. There will be an accompanying analysis of each piece, no der. Y'all know me.

Quick note: Before you view the lookbook, you may want to familiarize yourself with his style. Click any of the links below to see the corresponding runway show.

Pre-Fall 2011
Fall/Winter 2011
Resort 2012
Spring/Summer 2012
Pre-Fall 2012
Or, just see all of his shows from forever.

(Disclaimer: I tried to link in some legit photos but the formatting was just not being my friend. Sorry about that.)

All photos courtesy of huffingtonpost.com.

This dress reminds me of a girl playing tennis at a country club in the 1950's. Which means she never actually played tennis, she just walked around looking chic as hell. The black stripes make the dress modern, not retro.

I've said it time and time again (really, I have) that pale pinks are in for this spring. As silk chiffon blouse never goes out of style, especially when paired with a pencil skirt. But when that skirt has a lace overlay, it's just that much better. 

That print is so adorable that it makes me angry. Not really; that wouldn't make any sense. Don't even get me started on the penny-loafers-and-socks combo, or that little lunchbox. Only the classiest girls carry lunchboxes. 

This one says, "I'm an intellectual. I wear cardigans and cute dresses and carry books and wear loafers." And who doesn't want to be scholarly? Or at least look scholarly. That's easier.

I can't quite place the time period here, but all I know is that I love nothing more than a ribbon tied in a bow around a collared shirt (I've been known to rock that once or twice). The color of the skirt is very spring-ish (Easter Bunny colors, anyone?)

This is where our cute little 1950's girl goes fancy. It's a tight dress, but not stretch jersey sort of tight--that's not classy. This is.

Jason Wu likes to work in black, white and grey most of the time, so this crisp red blouse is a nice pop of color. Especially when paired with a printed skirt. He understands that when you've got such bright colors and patterns (mixed together, nonetheless), you have to keep the silhouettes basic. If you don't, you risk looking like you've walked out of an '80's music video. Which is totally fine, I've done it before, but it's not very Jason Wu.

Red, white and blue stripes: you can't get any more classic. 

The boatneck is an innovative addition to a basic navy dress. 10 points for Jason! 

I actually want that shirt/sweater/whatever it is I don't even care so much. I don't know why, because I'm not really a stripe-y girl, or much of a black-and-white girl either, but there's something about that collar peaking out, and the penny loafers, and the bag...I just can't even....

This is a scarf with cats printed on it, wearing scarves. 'Nuff said. 

You can see the entire lookbook here, but I hope this tiny glimpse into the world of Wu-dom was enough to whet your palate. Your color palette, that is. PUNS.

P.S. Check out my new Chictopia article!

1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!