Friday, November 18, 2011

Trending Next Spring: Geometry

It feels so good to be back. I missed this. It was a pretty hectic week, so thank the good Lord above that it is Friday (note: I am not a Jesus freak).

I'll get to my quick life recap at the end of the post, as per yooj (yooj=usual), but this part is essential to mention before I dive into my next spring trend. I had a geometry test today, so I thought, "What better time to post about the shapes trend than today?" and then I answered, "No time!" to which I replied, "That was rhetorical."

Not to be confused with colorblocking, this trend is all about playing with geometric shapes. Like, literally playing with them. Maybe a game of tennis, or frisbee, if it's nice outside. I kid. You'll actually only be displaying shapes on your clothes: maybe not as active, but still plenty of fun. I can usually figure out the connections next spring's trends have with current or past trends, but I can't quite place this one. It was a very subtle shift, since the tribal patterns of last season and this season are so geometric, but the shift is there. That was a pun because Carolina Herrera actually did a shape-printed shift dress. Oh, fashion punz; how I love you so. I can't decide if that sentence butchered the English language, so I'll just move on.

The thing about this trend is that the actual shape and the placement of said shape is crucial. This is a trend easily gone wrong. The same way vertical stripes and chevrons are slimming, an awkwardly proportioned and placed square can make you look like a pumpkin. Not quite sure how, but I bet it can happen. It's a really fun trend if you do it right, so have fun with it! Shapes were created for a reason, and that reason was so people could wear them. 


Now for the moment we've all been waiting for: the photographic proof. Let's get this party started, shall we? 


All photos courtesy of style.com.

Make it a theme: 


                              Alberta Ferretti                                                                  Carolina Herrera
     

                                     Céline                                                                              Chanel 
           

                               Nanette Lepore                                                                  Prabal Gurung
           

                                  Sass & Bide                                                                   Carolina Herrera
           


Add some shape(s) to your outfit: 


                             Alexander Wang                                                              Bottega Veneta
     

                                 Sass & Bide                                                          Stella McCartney
           


                                                                        Alberta Ferretti 


People that are ready to rock the trend full on are entitled to do so, while others who'd rather incorporate math more subtly may also do so. FASHION, YOU GIVE ME SO MANY OPTIONS THAT I'M OVERWHELMED.

Now for my quick life recap!
1. I have begun a legitimate project: I'm taking all the photos I've cut out of magazines and compiling them into a book. It's going to be the best book ever, and my holy shrine. Just sayin'.
2. My newest article on the Huffington Post went up yesterday! Check it out HERE!
3. I found this article to be a kind of a summary of my life.

That's all for now, guys! I'll be back in the game ASAP. You know I love this blog.

5 comments:

  1. I think this trend is very neat, but you have to know how to wear it if not your just going to look like a mess. I'm going to see if I can give it a try soon. =) Their is a giveaway on my blog I think you will love, please pass by to enter!

    -V

    http://stylishlyme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This collection is awesome. We like how the styles create a sophisticated look to the models. Lovely!

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and cool post. Take some time to visite my blog.

    http://Paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this trend, the pieces all look really interesting!

    Sarah
    xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!