Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Redcoats Are Coming!

Here's a little chunklet of my newest article from Chictopia. I forgot I could do this.
Enjoy, guys!

“The Redcoats are coming!”

We all know that this is what Paul Revere shouted as he rode into Boston on his horse when announcing the arrival of the British. Few people know that this is what I shouted while examining the fall runway photos last spring.

Another thing that we all know is that red is making a comeback, especially on lips. With the revival of the feminine lady of the 1940’s (see the Miu Miu F/W 2011), it’s no surprise that the color red, with all its bright, fun girly-ness is tagging along for the ride. The problem with red is that it’s so loud that many people are afraid to wear it in large quantities. Our fellow Chictopians aren’t afraid of colorblocking neons, so I hope to God that you all are red-dy (oh how I love puns!) to rock this trend like you are paid to do it, which I bet some of you are. The best way to go all out crimson on us in these cold winter months is to buy a red coat. Coats are the best way to look smashing whilst (unfortunately) covering up all those strategically layered pieces underneath your outerwear. If you’re going to invest in a new jacket this season, these are the ones to be buying:

THE ANKLE GRAZER:
INSPIRATION: Alexander McQueen (see the above photograph)
This man was just a genius. There’s no way he was from this planet. The McQueen coat is the one in the main photo, and as you can see, it’s pretty intense. It’s like a ‘60s version of Hagrid’s cloak, but better. There’s some fur at the collar, nice little black cuffs—but note that all of the embellishments are very simple. My advice for wearing a floor-length red coat is to keep the silhouette uncomplicated and the other details minimal to avoid looking clownish. The proportion and color could easily make you look like a circus runaway.
LOOK FOR LESS: It’s difficult to find a cheaper version because it’s so unique, but if you’re willing to pay for a McQueen coat, I will worship you forever. There is one from ASOS that’s not quite the same, but still pretty out there. It’s the ASOS Fit and Flare Coat with Frill Back for $119.50.

_______________________________________

Want to read about the four other red coats??? Just CLICK HERE to read the rest of the article.

I also have some exciting news: I was informed today that my blog will be reviewed and featured by Vogue Patterns magazine as a part of their Web Watch section. It's gonna be in the February/March 2012 issue of the magazine, which will be on sale starting in January. I'm actually beyond excited, you have no idea.

I dunno about you, but I'm gearing up for Turkey Day. Anyone dressing up as said bird? Anyone? Well, that's gonna be awkward when I walk into my grandma's house wearing a turkey costume and I'm the only one attired like so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!