Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wendy Brandes

Oh hey, y'all. We're not gonna ask questions about why I was gone the past few days...actually, we might because I have exciting news to share. 

A while back, at the IFB Con, I met Wendy Brandes (you might recognize her from this post; she's the one wearing the colorful lego dress), a fantastic jewelry designer. We exchanged a few emails back and forth, which ended with me interviewing her, similar to the way I interviewed Anaïs last month. Here's the interview I did with her, as well as some pictures of her favorite pieces, and some of my favorites as well. 

1. Where do you live? (the city and/or country is sufficient)
The city that never sleeps -- New York.

Virginia Woolf Whistle 
2. What is your profession? 
I design fine jewelry. I work in 18K gold, platinum and silver. I do use a lot of gems, but the design work really goes into the metal. A big stone in a plain four-prong setting isn't challenging enough for me. My specialty is mechanical pieces -- jewelry that opens and closes, rotates and even whistles.

3. When did you start designing jewelry? 
My first designs were my own engagement and wedding rings in 2001. 

4. Have you always designed jewelry, or have you explored other fields in the fashion industry (or not in the industry at all) as well? 
I spent over 10 years as an editor at news organizations including the Wall Street Journal, CNN and People.
Empress Wu dragon wing

5. Where do you find inspiration? What and/or who inspires you?
Women's history inspires me, especially bad and beautiful queens. For instance, the murderous 7th century Chinese ruler Empress Wu inspired this dragon ring. 

6. Would you say that the design process is difficult, or does it come naturally to you? 
I never run out of ideas for designs. What is in short supply is the money to create them all! Working in the materials I use, in New York and in limited quantity is expensive. I explain some of the costs of the manufacturing process here. 

8. Do you make your own jewelry, or do you just design it?
I do the designs and various goldsmiths and gem setters create the pieces. It's taken me years to find the best people to work with.

9. Is the jewelry industry as competitive a field as the clothing industry in fashion? 
Yep! Every industry is competitive. And if you're lucky enough to stumble upon an entirely new field where you have no competitors, you're still going to encounter challenges. People might think they don't need your new product.  It's never smooth sailing. Remember, even Apple Computer was once on the verge of bankruptcy. 
Christine's Tiger Ring
10. If you weren't designing jewelry, what would you like to be doing? 
I'd go back to journalism.

11. Do you have any advice for people who wish to have a career in the fashion industry? 
It takes 10 years to become an overnight success. (I'm still waiting!)

12. Who are your favorite designers (clothing and jewelry)?
My favorite living designer is my friend Zang Toi. My favorite vintage designer is Ossie Clark. I don't spend a lot of time looking at current jewelry designs, though my friend Tina Tang has a line of cute silver charms. I'm more interested in antique and vintage pieces.

13. Where do you buy your clothing and accessories? 
I don't have to do a ton of shopping because I still have great pieces from ten years ago that I wear. I have awesome Versace pieces from 2000 - 2005 that I wear regularly. For vintage, I tend to buy on eBay or from a few stores -- including Frock -- in New York. For current looks, Bergdorf Goodman is divine. Besides eBay and online vintage stores, I'm not as interested in online shopping as I used to be. I like to feel the fabric/try things on in person. 

14. What are your 3 favorite pieces of clothing from your wardrobe right now? How about your three favorite pieces of jewelry?
I have a vintage black leather and patent jacket with a peplum that I got on eBay that I have been wearing all the time. If I'm dressing up, I love my vintage Patrick Kelly leopard-print gown. That's also from eBay. I am particularly fond of it because WWD once put it on a fashion disaster page. And the rainbow [Jean-Charles de] Castelbajac high-heel loafers that I got in 2009 are my favorite shoes. For jewelry, I only wear my own designs. It makes me a little sad because my husband gave me some great jewelry before I started the business, but it's awkward when people know I'm a jewelry designer and compliment a piece that's not mine. Not a good marketing tactic! So I've been wearing my Memento Mori gold skull ring with ruby eyes as a pinky ring nearly every day. It's time to bring back pinky rings! My Cleopatra earrings -- seen on Kim Cattrall in Sex and the City 2 -- are great for evening. And I like to wear a mechanical piece, like my Chicken in Egg locket, to show people how intricate my work is.

Chicken in the Egg Locket
15. Who is your ideal customer? 
Do you mean in general or a celebrity? In general: Anyone who wants to make a statement. But you don't have to be born bold. I often get customers who are, for the first time, moving away from traditional or delicate looks. I'm the one who converts them to something wild! If you mean a celebrity, I think Rihanna should be wearing my Mud Flap Girl necklace with ruby nipples. A provocative pendant for a provocative performer! 

16. Anything else you want to say? 
Thanks for interviewing me!







Here are some of my favorites:

Marie Antoinette Ring
Mia Necklace
Mo Mori Skull Ring


Owl necklace

And now for my exciting news: 
I am now the new fashion editor for Everybody Is Ugly on Chictopia! I sent them my piece from the Huffington Post, and they really liked it, so I wrote a new article and sent that over as well. This morning I got the email saying that they'd chosen me, and I am so beyond excited that it's ridiculous. I'll be sure to let you all know when my first post goes up!!! 

Also: I do have many posts lined up for you--I was just caught up in writing my new article for the Chictopia in the past few days.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: 

As you may remember, a photograph of mine was selected as a finalist in the Club Monaco Get Inspired contest. I really want to win. No duh. All you have to do to help a sista out is set your Facebook language to UK English (you won't notice the difference, and ya might like it) because I'm entered in the UK contest. To do that, you have to go to the arrow in the upper right hand corner and click "account settings." The last thing on the list is language, so click "edit" and select "English (UK)" and then go to this link: http://www.facebook.com/clubmonaco?sk=app_224430347610885

...and click the heart next to the picture called "Dirty Jobs." It's a picture of a sign that says "Art is a dirty job but somebody's got to do it." It should be in the third row.

I have until October 26th to get the most votes, but you can only vote once a day. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for my picture, if I were to win, I would honestly be the happiest girl on the face of the earth. That doesn't include non-human girls, because I have no idea how happy some ladybug might be.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. I LOVE YOU ALL.






4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun interview and congrats on your new gig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy!
    Sorry I didn't send you the link to the post--I was watching Project Runway at the same time and got completely wrapped up in it. It was a seriously intense episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each piece is absoultely incredible.
    Great design and workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview with WendyB!

    And congratulations on your writing successes!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!