Saturday, October 8, 2011

Takin' It To the Streets

This is kind of exciting...my first blogpost was about fashion week street style, and so is this one. Also, my fashion photo archives began with street style photos. I guess you could say it's one of my main sources of inspiration, or something. I love it because it's so real. Like, I'm not going to wear my hair swept across my face Maison Martin Margiela-style, orange lipstick, a fur tutu (wait, what?) and bejeweled stilettos to just chill. That's not something that's ever going to happen. Unless I'm Anna Dello Russo. Which clearly I am not.

I waited until fashion month was officially over (Paris Fashion Week ended on October 5th) to post these pictures so that I wouldn't have to do a part two. Those are a bit awkward. They're like, "Oh, wait, JK, come back, I forgot something." And that's just too many commas for one sentence.

Here are my favorite street style photographs, all property of Mr. Newton and Harper's Bazaar.
They go in order, starting with New York and ending with Paris.
Favorite city: Paris.
Least favorite city: New York (my hometown disappointed me this time, guys.)

New York Fashion Week: 


I'm gonna go ahead and guess that her dress is Christopher Kane Spring/Summer 2011, based on the neon/lace/floral combo. Just by default this makes her awesome, but the way she grounded it with black without subduing the vibrant color is quite commendable. Props, girl.

London Fashion Week:


Even though I don't dress like it, I still love 70's-inspired clothing. Those pants fit like a dream, and the color compliments her skin tone nicely. She kept it simple with a white t-shirt: smart move, but something that would be difficult for me. 

When I see skirts like these in vintage stores, I think, "Who would buy that?" because how does one wear it? Obviously, this woman knows how to not only wear it, but rock it. She looks her age, not the age of the person who probably originally owned that skirt, but there's also a vintage feel to her outfit. Extra points for cute hair. 

Milan Fashion Week:


Those pants remind me of a Van Gogh painting. I personally like wearing paintings as part of my outfit (remember my Monet watch?), so I dig this. I also like a good, comfy pant, and these look pretty comfortablé to me (that accent was placed there on purpose). 

You think she's wearing a regular shirt, but no, she's wearing a mullet shirt. I don't know if that's the official term for them, but that's essentially what they are: short in the front, long in the back. Bonus points for leather pants. And I'm pretty sure she models for Urban Outfitters (that's something I would know off the top of my head).

She looks so freaking comfy-chic that it kills me. That blush color is big for fall, but the cut is so simple that she really had to accessorize well, which she did. See her feet. They are shiny and turquoise. I actually am not sure how to identify that color. Deep sea blue? Mermaid? 

Paris Fashion Week:

Olivia Wilde looks adorable in this Peter Pan-collared dress and tweed/bedazzled jacket with some krazy kool piping. Peter Pan collars are an instant cute-ifier, and the whole effect with the jacket and the hair and everything reminds me of an edgier and more modern version of early Chanel, with the tweed jackets and such. And the shot was taken in Paris, so that's appropriate.

Go big or go home, as they say. I guess this girl also added a new rule: Go bright or go home. And also: Colorblock or go home. Oversized clutches are a big deal, since last spring actually, and yellow and mustard are not only huge colors for fall, but for next spring (this is a hint about my blog project, *wink, wink*). 

Polka dots have made a gigantic comeback recently: Stella McCartney and Marc Jacobs, just to name a few designers who helped bring them back. Mixing the size and opacity of said print is genius, because it works so well. Her red lipstick adds a nice touch to her black and white look. 

Arizona Muse! Oh how I adore you and your hair. Just the fact that she is Arizona Muse gets her a place on my blog, but her scallop hem black satin dress is just too cute. She rocks a fresh face, minimal accessories and an all black dress. How she does it, I cannot say.

I can't quite tell what it is about this look that I like, but the combination of the tight skirt with the loose top, as well of the mix of the print with the solid black intrigue me (I guess I did know). Confidence and laughter also are beneficial accessories. 

Let's dissect this look piece by piece, shall we? White crochet/lace shorts are super cute, all the time. Detached mesh collar is such a crazy concept that I love it. A jewel-toned blazer is so fall 2011 that it's ridiculous. Something else that's very on trend for this season? Androgynous hair styles. Overall successful look? I think yes. 

At first glance, this outfit isn't that exciting. A skirt with a sweater, what's so fabulous about that? Well, if you'll notice that there are cut-outs in her skirt, that's pretty interesting. And the fact that her sweater isn't just plain black, which would be a snoozalicous, and is in fact emerald green, adds a bit of fun. Her sunglasses are also multicolored. I'm also quite positive that I know exactly where this was taken (the Tuileries in Paris.)

Ms. Alexa Chung, one of my many British fashion icons, and by many, I mean two. She wore a red Valentino dress around town. Who but Alexa Chung would think to pair it with cat-eye-John-Lennon sunglasses? And peace fingers? I wouldn't. She's such a cool cat (get it, cat-eye sunglasses?). 

And now for my other thoughts that have no other place in this blogpost but in a huge jumble:

New street style photos might mean a new banner, but I'm not sure.

Sorry that I haven't been as consistent as usual with my blogging; I've been travelling a bit, meaning to Massachusetts, plus today was Yom Kippur. Which meant that I didn't eat or drink from 10 am to 6 pm. It was torture. Then I stuffed myself with everything in sight. And now I feel disgusting. Being a Jew is rough.

Tomorrow is Renaissance Fair time! King Richard's Faire, to be exact. There will be pictures.

I sincerely hope that you a) did not have to fast today, or b) weren't as tortured by fasting as I was. Happy eating, everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!