Thursday, October 6, 2011

Labels

You know what I hate? Labels. Not like the Post-It kind of labels that you use on accordion folders, but the kind of labels that people stick on each other. Call them whatever you like: labels, stereotypes, classifications, social expectations, I hate them all.

There's actually two topics within that one that bother me, but they sort of fit together: there are the actual names and categories that people are put into, and then there are the expectations that society has set for certain people and genders.

These two topics seem to be circulating in the blogosphere lately, from Chictopia to Jean Greige and it took me until now to fully realize my opinion on them. Since they both have relations to fashion and appearance, I figured that it wouldn't be too out of the blue to talk about it on my blog.

People nowadays seem to particularly fond of classifying others as certain things, based on little to no information. They call people “ghetto” or “hipsters” or “JAPs” and a variety of other names. Now, I'm sure that there are people who don't mind being called those things, but I hate the fact that people think they've figured me out so accurately that they've already got a category to put me in. The one that I deal with most is “hipster.”

I know a lot of you are going to think I'm completely overreacting to being called a hipster, but it really gets on my nerves. According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, a hipster is defined as:a person who follows the latest trends and fashions.” That seems like a valid basis for determining who is a hipster and who is not, if that's something you care to spend your time on. However, just because I like and buy the clothing at Urban Outfitters and often buy clothing at thrift stores because they're financially convenient for me does not mean I'm a hipster. To me, a hipster is someone who takes trends and does not interpret them in an original way, and if that's what someone's calling me, that's insulting. I like to think that I dress in (and do other things) an original way, and it's almost degrading when people lump me in a group with others who are in fact nothing like me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all labels, and sometimes I'll wear them proudly. This is also going to sound ridiculous, but you have to think about it in a more serious way to get the point that I'm trying to make. If you ask nearly anyone who is familiar with the Harry Potter series, they'll tell you that Hufflepuffs are the lamest House and that any and all Hufflepuffs are pathetic. I completely disagree, because I'm a proud Hufflepuff. Based on the description given in the Sorting Hat's song from the first book, 

You might belong in Hufflepuff, 
Where they are just and loyal, 
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true 
And unafraid of toil.” 

That description fits me perfectly, so why should I not be proud to be a part of a group where there are other people like me? The point of all this is that I know who I am better than anyone else does, and they have no right to label me as something when I know that it's not true.

Now to adress the other issue: social expectations for women. I recently read an article on Chictopia that discussed what a “real” woman is. I find that issue to be very controversial, similar to the whole skinny models topic. Every female human being is a real woman, unless they were born a man, in which case I wouldn't categorize them as a “real” woman, because they literally are not. When people say that “real” women have curves and don't have stick skinny legs, I don't get it. Just because not everyone can be six feet tall and thin, why does that mean that there aren't a good portion of women that are? They're just as real as a woman who's five foot two and has more curves. I simply do not understand where people get these ideas of who's real and who's not, because even in math there are very few numbers that aren't real. Just the fact that a woman exists makes her real. You might think I'm being too literal here, but I'm just trying to make a point.

Madeline of the blog Jean Greige also talked about it on her blog the other day. She started off talking about her hair, which she had dyed from blonde to a green-ish purple color using Kool-Aid. She wrote my exact (well, not actually because mind-reading is some deep stuff) thoughts on the issue:

Many elements of media and western culture have ingrained in us a visual of the ideal woman. What is a woman supposed to look like? I was taught by mainstream visual cues that a woman is supposed to be busty and blonde, with a lot of makeup put on in such a manner that people think she is not wearing makeup, and with a particular way of dressing that shows off key body parts in a provocative manner. This dress is tight. Here are my legs. Here are my breasts. There is certainly nothing wrong with a woman choosing to look this way, but there is something wrong with society teaching us that this is the way a woman should look. The only way a woman should look is however she pleases. Blonde hair or blue hair. Long hair or no hair. High heels or Keds. Makeup or unshaven legs. Adhering to trends or ignoring them completely.

This is why I love fashion. It presents such a variety of alternatives to inspire women. By showing us silly ways to dye our hair and wear awkward proportions and humorous accessories, fashion is really showing us ways to self-identify rather than allowing male-dominated perceptions of the feminine ideal to identify us on our behalf. This is the brilliance of 
The Man Repeller The more we step outside of the standard idea of 'what a woman should look like', the more we have the power to redefine sex-appeal for our cultural standard. Sex-appeal should be based on confidence and intelligence. The way we look should be something extra but unrelated, something which we can have fun without fear of judgement or consequence.”

She's kind of a genius. Everything she said is so true. As a teenage girl, there are certain things that people expect me to do and ways I should act and things I should wear and say. Like what I was saying in this post, I won't wear or do anything if it makes me uncomfortable. I don't dress for other people, I dress for myself. Some people think that fashion is shallow because it's all based on appearance, but it's only shallow if people choose to see it that way.

I like to think that people read my blog for the written content, not just the pictures, so let me know if you like reading about things like this on my blog in the comments or in an email to youreatulle@gmail.com

Feel free to add your two cents in the comments area. Or five dollars. All donations go to cancer research. That was a joke.

I'm still working on my project, which is hard work, but fun at the same time. The joys of fashion... 
You know what else is fun? The launch of Huffington Post's High School Bloggers site that happened on Tuesday, October 4th! Supah stoked up in this club! Spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!