Friday, April 22, 2011

The Blue Jeanie

Get it? Genie, Jeanie?...This post is about denim.
As I was checking harpersbazaar.com, I came upon the article "A Month of Denim," and naturally, I read the entire thing. Jeans are generally a staple in the modern woman's wardrobe, ESPECIALLY teenagers (I hate it when people come to school wearing skinny jeans and a tank top. It makes me cry a little inside.), but in the past few years, the only type of jeans people wore/still wear are skinny jeans.

Well, I think it's about time to shun those skinny jeans and bring on the flare jeans. And the cropped jeans. And the overalls. And the chambray. Although chambray isn't actually denim, it's like denim's second cousin. The one who thinks they're part of the family, but secretly, the rest of the family doesn't count them.

So get ready to be bombarded by the flaredest, croppedest, overallest and chambrayest photographs you've ever seen at one time:

I'm starting with flare jeans. The volume of the flare will gradually increase. Brace yourself.

This is Joanna Hillman, Senior Market Editor at Harper's Bazaar. The below italicized text, as well as the other italicized text that will show up later on in this post, is taken from Bazaar's website:

Joanna is wearing Textile Elizabeth and James flare jeans with a Lyn Devon blouse, DVF Mongolian fur coat, Sam Edelman wedges, Balenciaga bag and Eddie Borgo earrings.

I love these jeans because they're good for beginners. Beginners here meaning those not ready to bring on the intense flarity that others are. (In case you were wondering flarity is not in fact a word in the dictionary, but is one of my own creation).


I don't actually know who she is or what she's wearing, but I like her jeans. They're high-waisted flares, which in my book equals a successful pair of pants and worthy of going on anyone's legs.


This is my beloved Man Repeller, Leandra Medine, with her ombre'd hair and flare jeans, standing what she calls the "quintessential blogger pose." This is actually my favorite pair out of all of the flares in this post. The flaring begins at the knee, so that it has space for the volume to increase a decent amount without being ridiculously overwhelming and/or clownlike.

This is what Leandra is wearing here (copy and pasted from her blog):
Shirt: Acne, flare jeans: Textile Elizabeth + James, necklace: Jimmy Choo x H&M, leopard print belt: J Crew, rings: Kimberly Baker and DANNIJO, shoes: Christian Louboutin, bucket bag: Hobo International.


Now this woman, Lisa Luna, is just like me. Here's why: "I'm convinced I was born in the wrong decade. From the psychedelic tunes on rotation to the swinging garbs I wear, everything screams "product of the 70's"."- Lisa Luna, Harper's Bazaar's Editorial Assistant

That's a direct quote from the Bazaar article (the link is way at the top of this post) about denim. Lisa Luna and I are practically the same person, which is why I think her jeans are super awesome. So groovy. Unlike the Man Repeller's jeans, the flare starts way up at the mid-thigh area, so the flarity is HUGE by the end.

I wish I could tell you what she's wearing, but for some reason the article no longer has her in it. I checked last night and went back today, and poof, she's gone.

We now move onto cropped pants, starting with some from my fave place, Urban Outfitters.

Vintage '90s Escada Bright Denim Pants. $139.
A little pricey, no doubt, but they're pink, high rise, cropped, vintage jeans. It may be worth it.


The Man Repeller is again rocking another denim trend for this spring, the cropped pant!
Jacket: Charlotte Ronson, crochet tank: Anarchy Street, highwaist jeans: Seven for All Mankind.

The good thing about cropped pants is that they're the perfect opportunity to show of your super rad flatforms, sandals, heels, or whatever you've put on your feet that day. That's the only flaw that flare jeans have: they shield the world from your shoes. Which sometimes is a good thing.


Salmon-colored cropped jeans are something I can honestly say I don't believe I've ever seen before. They're a somewhat ingenious invention for the those who want to wear color, but don't want to look like one of the Jonas Brothers.

Btdubs, this is who she is and what she's wearing:
Jessie Heyman, Associate Features Editor

Jessie is wearing Current/Elliott “The Stiletto” jeans in Nantucket with “The Shirt” by Joe’s, J. Crew flats and a vintage jacket.

Overalls were my go-to piece as a toddler. I'm beyond ecstatic that I can dress like a 4-year-old again.

Destroyed Denim Overall Short from Forever 21. $27.80.
I have been wanting overall shorts (or as I call them, shortalls,) for the longest time, and here they are, under $30 too! Forever 21 is that place where you go if you're looking for something that you could get for about $100 more somewhere else, but you would rather use that extra money to buy another pair of shortalls, like the ones below.


Rose Denim Overalls from Forever 21. $19.80.
There is absolutely no doubt in the world that I will own these quite soon. They are under $20. I am in floral shortalls heaven. I plan to buy these immediately, unless they look atrocious on me, which would make me extremely sad. Because who doesn't want a pair of floral shortalls, a.k.a. flortalls??!!!! I would like to meet this person and slap them.

Floral shortalls can be worn with just about anything, I think, but that shall be put to the test when I go and try these on. Keep your eyes open (unlike Leandra, who can't manage to do that in these pictures. For some reason, my mind automatically connected closed eyes with that blog post.) for a post about them soon.

And now for denim's wannabe second cousin, chambray.

Sarah Conly, Associate Market Editor at Harper's Bazaar

Sarah is wearing a Lauren Jeans Co. buttondown with a Club Monaco skirt, Michael Kors belt and French Connection wedges.

I am totally down with people wearing chambray tops, but some people just don't know how to do it. Sarah Conly rocks it. By pairing it with a maxi skirt and wedges, she's able to make the look more laidback and casual. She also keeps the color palette light and mostly neutral (except the chambray top, of coursety course), so the attention isn't drawn away from the shirt.

So there you have it: I have covered most of the denim trends of this season, except for shorts. I'm saving that for when it gets warmer and my toes are not little icicle nubs when I walk around indoors barefooted.

I was able to post today, so I may be able to make this work for the rest of the week. Check back daily just in case, and be prepared for a major online celebration when Sherica comes home!

2 comments:

  1. I love overalls too! I'm also looking into wide-leg jeans. :)

    http://silkandsatan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!