Saturday, September 1, 2012

Trending For Pre-Fall: Sunshine

Gooooooood morning, readers! It's Saturday, September 1st! The morning of! I'm using an excessive amount of exclamation points to mask how terrified I am that school and Fashion Week begin in five days! Ahhhhhhahahahaha!

The above information proves that this post is quite timely--the end of summer means the end of the pre-fall trend reports, because real fall is coming up. Twenty days, guys. I saved the cheerio cheeriest one for last, the one that calls back memories of dem lazii summah dayz: yellow. Sunshine. Is California really the Sunshine State? The world may never know.  

In December, I told you to make like a pack of Skittles and explore the rainbow; make like a hotdog and wear condiments...in essence, I advised you to dress like food. Sort of. The designers are not done with the most neglected member of the primary color family, it seems. I'm lovin' it (that was secretly a double McDonald's reference, since the "M" is also yellow). More power to the lemons and daffodils! 

I've always thought it was funny that everyone loves blondes and wants to be blonde--how often is it really that a blonde goes brunette in comparison to how many flaxen-haired fakers there are out there?--yet people think the color yellow itself is not too pleasing. "It makes me look sickly," someone may explain. "I can't wear colors that bright, they make me uncomfortable," says another. Bah humbug! Bypass these silly qualms and just hop into it! Find the shade that suits your skin tone best, the hue that tickles your fancy most, slap it on your body, and walk out the door! It's as simple as that! If your skin tone is an awkward shade of yellow like mine, stick to light, lemony tones that don't pull out that I'm-about-to-vomit color on your face. Yes, that is why people stayed a good few feet away from you last time you wore that mustard-colored shirt. If you have fair skin, vibrant and dark yellows are a good choice. I'd stay away from pale yellows just because they might wash you out a bit. If you have dark skin, mustardy hues and deep yellows are poifect. 

[Photos via style.com.]

Primary (lessons in) yellow:

                          Diane von Furstenberg                                                   Oscar de la Renta
          

                                     Erdem                                                               Oscar de la Renta
          

Lighten up!

                               Alexander Wang                                                    Diane von Furstenberg
          

                                Alice + Olivia                                                              Balenciaga 
          

                                      Erdem                                                         Moschino Cheap and Chic
          

Goldilocks wants her hair back:

                                Nicole Miller                                                                     Chanel
          

                          Diane von Furstenberg                                             Moschino Cheap and Chic 
          

Yeah! Pre-fall is done! Other things that are done: my internship at Lyn Devon. It was an awesome two weeks in which a learned a great deal about many things. There will be more to come on that in Monday's Chictopia article, so keep your eyes peeled. That reminds me--bananas! They are yellow as well! I digress. Internship. Right. On my last day yesterday, I was putting address stickers on envelopes for the invitations to the Spring 2013 trunk show. I felt like I was in a live episode of "Dora the Explorer;" all of the people I'd delivered garments to throughout the ten days had their names on the sticker sheets. Everything was coming full circle. It's like that part of the episode where all of their friends from the past twenty minutes come back for their party on the top of the hill, except I had never met these people and we were not, in fact, partying on top of a hill. 

FashionWeekFashionWeekFashionWeek so much to do, so little time. What iz sleep? Wut iz exercise? Hah! Theez do not exist. 

Enjoy your freedom while you still have it! Please! 

2 comments:

  1. Why are there not five million comments here! I love this... and that Chanel! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole Chanel pre-fall collection was completely perfect. I am so in love with it.

      Delete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!