Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Oceanic Nymphs of Son Jung Wan

I know, I know, I'm really far behind on the whole New York Fashion Week recap thing. I realize that everyone has breezed through London and are in the middle of conquering Milan, but I'm still in New York. Both physically and mentally. I haven't seen any of the collections or looked at any street style photos. That's what eight and a half hours of school every day will do to ya. 

Son Jung Wan was the first runway show that I attended this season. There was a tornado watch in effect in my neighborhood at the time I was supposed to leave my house to go to the show. Of course. I spent the whole commute hyperventilating about being late, but also because I could barely breathe. The subways in the city suck royal hippogriff when it rains, and no one on the MTA has figured out that when it's hot, the air conditioners should be on, and not in the middle of the winter. So I was kind of melting in my poncho and black long-sleeve shirt. 

There were no show notes besides the ones that listed the looks, so the inspiration for the collection is unknown. However, the designer must have been feeling some good vibes from the ocean, because there was a lot of blue and green chiffon-y dresses, as well as lots of sheer detailing with lacy accents and large poufs of tulle (sea foam reference, maybe?). Yellow (sunshine) and coral (...coral) shades were used throughout the collection, plus oodles and noodles of white. The overall feel was a bit surreal (rhymez!), what with the clumps of thin braids intertwined in odd configurations on the backs of the models' heads and all of the flowing fabrics. Check it out fo' yo'self below. 

[Photos by me.]

Like ocean waves made of sunshine and love. 

High collars are the only type of collars worth wearing. 

Greek goddess goes ombré. 

Chanel signature tweed jackets: now in potato sack silhouettes. 

Whoa.

Yeah, she's not a human. No one's skin actually glows like that. 

The bluish-green splatter prints are quite a bit of fun. 

Dresses that could've been just an inch or so longer: this one.

I think crochet is resurfacing as a trend this season, along with metallics. That cross-boob stripe of reflective-shattered-glass-tape is spot on-trend.

I guess Son Jung Wan is not ready to give up the mullet hemline just yet.


The last model, peacin' out.

P.S. Brookie Shields and her lil' kiddies were sitting front row. She looked and acted surprisingly normally and not like, "HEY GUYS I'M BROOKE FUQIN SHIELDS LOOK AT ME!" It was really awesome. I've heard from some inside sources that she's actually a very nice person. Ten points for Brooke. 

Have a happy weekend full of museum-going and art-making and writing and reading Rookie mag and lots of other great stuff. Lots of apples, too. Make sure you include those. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!