Sunday, September 30, 2012

We Are Infinite


I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky at the end of 8th grade, around the same time I began this blog. I started this website for many, many reasons, one of them being that I needed somewhere to throw my obsessive thoughts and make my preoccupation with fashion real, and the internet seemed like the prime place to do that. This book and blogging were the two things that returned me to my natural human state (to an extent. I have a theory that I was secretly born as an old-man-puppy-fish, and that doesn't sound too natural to me) when I was strugglin' so hard. I read it once and fell in love. I read it again at the beginning of my freshman year of high school because Charlie began high school in 1991, and I was starting in 2011, so I read each of his letters on the same date in real life. Since that made no sense, let me clarify: if he wrote a letter on November 9th, I read it on November 9th. It was so weird how events in each of our lives occurred at the same time, twenty years apart. ...Even though Charlie is not real. When I found out that they were making this fuqin' amazeballs book into a film starring Emma Watson, aka the absolute love of my life, I had a major mini heart attack. 

The '90s is (are?) easily one of my favorite decades culturally, musically, and sartorially (followed closely by the '60s and '20s), so I was mega pumped for the costumes, props, sets, and soundtrack for the movie. They didn't disappoint. If you combined Sam's (Emma Watson) and Mary Elizabeth's (Mae Whitman) clothing, that would be an accurate representation of how I try/want to dress every day of my life forever. It's like a funky mix between grungy '90s lumberjack casual style and a gypsy witch that has a fascination with stick-on jewels, sweaters and their multitudinous variations (ie, poncho), bizarre skin adornments, and copious ear piercings. Das me! 

Hopefully you can feel the ridiculous amounts of spiritual/sartorial inspiration emanating from the following pictures, because if you do that means we are brain siblings. 

[Photos via imdb.com and google.com.]

Sam's room + Charlie's suit + typewriter = this is what I want most in life. I'm actually on the hunt (a quest, if you will) for a typewriter and a cheap tie, so if you see either one, let me know.

Patrick (Ezra Miller) is not even human, I swear. And then there's Mary Elizabeth (bottom left), being a total badass. 

This was easily one of the best scenes in the whole movie. They are at a school dance when all of a sudden a good song comes on, and Patrick and Sam are like, "Living room routine. Right now." So they shove their way to the center and just start dancing like maniacs. It is amazing.

Mary Elizabeth!!!!! Wearing red!!!!!!!!!! My favorite color!!!!!!! 

Emma as Sam as Janet. 

I want Sam's jacket and her hair, and Patrick's face to stay like that forever. 

If you have not read this book, drop everything and read it right now. If you haven't seen this movie, don't drop everything, but go see it anyway. That's enough unauthorized book promotion for today. 

One last thing: I made a playlist out of the mixtape Charlie made for Patrick for Secret Santa so you guys can fully immerse yourselves in the world of the book.


Have a jolly Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!