Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Transitive Property (Lela Rose Spring 2013)

Lela Rose's runway show took place on Sunday, September 9th, at 11 am. Bright and early. Delightful. I took my seat and began perusing the front row from afar. When I spotted a perfectly coifed top knot and a set of familiar cheekbones, I asked the woman sitting next to me if that was in fact Lauren Conrad seated over there. My hunch was confirmed. As much as I hate to admit it, my sister and I did watch "The Hills" more than a few times at a suspiciously young age. 

Enough about LC and her California gurls. Onto the fashion show. As I mentioned in my video a few weeks ago, I didn't think that Lela Rose's collection was particularly visually cohesive. However, that is because it was based on "the frailty of the human experience." Wowza. Not to go all philosophical on you guys (don't get me wrong, I love going all philosophical; it happens at the most inopportune moments, actually. Or are they really the most opportune moments??? Whoaaaa), but life is not cohesive, so by my trusty friend--and the only useful piece of information I got out of my freshman geometry class--the transitive property, neither is Lela Rose's Spring 2013 collection. In the designer's defense, the collection makes a lot of sense conceptually. She was inspired by the work of the artist Jim Hodges, whose pieces references nature a lot, often in the forms of flowers and webs. Lela translated that into fabrics and prints, incorporating floral patterns, lace, and metal chains into her S/S '13 show. She used Hodges' entire oeuvre as inspiration for the collection, which resulted in a bit of a mish-mosh of ideas that didn't really seem to string together too well. There was camouflage and tweed and lace and lots of bright colors and metal(lic) accents...oh my! It may have been a better idea to just zero in on a few aspects of the artist's work, but perhaps if she had the collection would not have been as large, nor would the pieces be as sellable as they indisputably are. 

Below you shall find the best photos of the bunch from this show. 

[Photos by me.]

Highly constructed pieces and emphasized seams make for an interesting contrast.


Orange, why do you keep showing up season after season? Are ya done yet?

Isabella Melo. Mere feet from my body. Wut. Also neon t-shirts paired with coral skirt-jacket ensembles. Wut.

So content. Whatchu lookin' at, grl? 

Bam. Visual assault, in the best way possible. 

The Man Repeller would be proud of this dress.

Spidery and spindly, reminiscent of this piece by ol' Hodges.

...But like somedays, when I get like a crumb of food, that's a good day, so is this one.


Lacey-lace and lavender. Alliteration rox my sox.


The metallics I mentioned before. 
Also, the model definitely experienced a UFO sighting at this moment. That is the only explanation for such an intense glare. 

Isabella Melo, part 2. 

Laurenzo Conrad! All bedazzled and stuff. That man interviewing her shoved me a lot in an effort to get to Lauren first. We can call him Gopher Man. Don't look so serious, Gopher Man. 

Sorry for sporadic posting, ballroom dancing got in the way. Once. That's right, you heard it from me, I am taking a few ballroom dance lessons with my mother and two foreign instructors. High school auctions are the absolute best.

Would you all be devastated if I didn't do Fall/Winter 2012 trend reports? I know, I know, I just think I missed the deadline; I would be starting far too late for it to be of any help. I'll do the Spring ones instead, and I'll do Fall instead of Pre-Fall over the summer! Yay for compromises! I'll do a few of the good ones for this season, of course, because we can't pretend that the trends don't exist.

Have a mighty fine weekend, friends. Go see "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" because it's amazeballs. Expect a post on that soon, that's how much I love it. (It got almost 8 stars on IMDb! Good Will Hunting got only three-tenths of a star more. That is how awesome this movie is. Plus the author (Stephen Chbosky) wrote the screenplay, so you just know that nothing could go wrong. Except for that they left out the poem Charlie gave to Patrick, but after contemplating it for a while I forgive Chbosky.)

1 comment:

  1. amazing collection!
    love every dress, they look so fab,
    thanks for sharing dear

    xoxo
    jiglycious.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!