Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Careful, It's A Zoo In There

Welp, I'm back on the east coast. California, it's been so real. That was a totally rad trip, which is exactly why I will continue to show you pictures I took whilst on the other side of the continent even though I am no longer there. #moderntechnologyrulez 

As I mentioned the other day, we took a trip to the World Famous San Diego Zoo! Upon entering the menagerie, one of the men checking tickets looked at me sternly and said, "Be careful, it's a zoo in there." See, the humor there is that it was in fact a zoo in there in every sense of the word. Clever bastard. 

We hopped right on a bus that toured us around the entire park (and when I say "hopped right on" I mean waited in line for twenty minutes listening to small children wail and complain and then got on a bus); afterward we began tackling the zoo on foot. Our goals were to see the pandas--because my mom thought pandas were koalas and she actually had no interest in the Asian bears--capybaras, zebras, and lions. We walked for hours trying to find all of our animals, and for the most part we succeeded. We just didn't see the koalas due to the fact that my mother thought they were pandas. When we reached the panda exhibit, she looked at the bear and went, "What the hell is this?" Or something along those lines. No disrespect to panda bears was intended.

At the end of the day, we saw some people dressed in spandex and velvet dressed as animals dancing on a stage with chairs and hoops and fabric. It was quite a spectacle. Prior to this performance, we rode the Skyfari, which is essentially a tram running from east to west across the zoo. It was terrifying. 

It's July 4th, as you all know, so I'm a little distracted right now--tryna get my patriotic festivities in order. I'll just show you some gorgeous lil' aminulz instead. 

Photos by me. 

This is either a cheetah or a jaguar or a panther. Either way, it's beautiful. It makes me wanna be a feline.  WHY WAS I NOT BORN AS A LARGE JUNGLE CAT, MOTHER?

MEERKAT!! Just strikin' a pose. Casual. 

This bird looks prehistoric. He's staring right at me. He's going to eat me, I swear to god. Please stop staring. Please.

The zoo is also home to some weirdass plants. 

L'éléphant! How majestic! And multicolored (?)! Does your nose hang low does it wobble to and fro...

This, my dear readers, is the wonderful capybara. Capybaras are the largest rodents in the world. They live primarily in South American rain forests. They have webbed feet with three toes in front and four toes in back. The natural predator of the capybara is the jaguar. They can hold their breath underwater for several minutes. The reason I know an abundance of information about these widely unknown creatures is because I wrote a 26-page picture book about them in 4th grade, and the obsession is still going strong. I made a papier mâché capybara and named him Kenny. Elly made me a capybara stuffed animal for my birthday (yes, made) with only two legs in total. I've been waiting since I was nine years old to meet one of these babies in real life. It's been a long time coming. 

Me 'n Kenny, j-chillin at the San Diego Zoo! Peep the little red arrows surrounding the love of my life. 

Fun fact: in Australia, people call zebras 'zeh-brahz.' 

"Mess with me and I cut you biyatches."

Flyin' high in da sky juu knoe how I feel! 

This man was wearing a chocolate brown velvet jumpsuit/leotard, doing gymnastics on three chairs. I wanted to hug him so much. 

If I were ever caught in this position I would a) have broken hips  b) be crying and c) immediately fall over. Three reasons why I am just not a gymnast. 

After we exited the zoo, we took a drive to Old Town, the oldest town in California ("Oh rly I wood nevar hav gessed frum the name"). There was a Mormon church and a flea market (two separate entities) where vendors were selling handmade goods native to the area (as well as Mexico; we were a mere fifteen-minute drive from the border). I am suddenly obsessed with embroidered dresses and shirts. My sister bought me a gold and silver bracelet for my birthday, while her and my mom bought beaded hair things. Trust me, "thing" is the only way to describe them. 

Happy Independence Day! We're going to Coney Island to see a Cyclones game, so I'll be takin' some photoz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!