Friday, July 6, 2012

Some Like It Hot

...Especially if they live in California. The sunshine state (I think that's what they call it) is home to several of the country's most famous filming spots for television shows and movies, most likely due to the fact that it's beautiful out all the time. The temperatures are high and the humidity levels are low, unlike New York where it's just a nasty combo of heat and sweat. We stayed on an island off of San Diego called Coronado for a few days while on the west coast, and effing geez, it was one of prettiest little places I've ever been. And I've seen a lot of pretty places in my day. The Hotel Del Coronado, located near the beach on the island (the number one rated beach in the country; its sand has gold in it, that's how perfect it is) is the filming spot for the Marilyn Monroe movie Some Like It Hot, hence the title of this post. 

A few days later, we took a mini road trip up to Malibu to see the critically acclaimed beaches. And when I say "critically acclaimed," I mean it. These shores are more famous than the actors in some of the movies they shot there. Here are some examples: Malibu Shark Attack (not like that's a well-known movie or anything, it sucks royal hippogriff), scenes from Planet of the Apes, and The Even Stevens Movie. The beaches of Malibu are also the setting for Two and a Half Men, Hannah Montana, So Little Time (that awesome Mary-Kate and Ashley show we all watched religiously and had the corresponding Gameboy game for--unless that was just me), The Big Lebowski, and Iron Man. While reading about the place on Wikipedia, I discovered that the music video for One Direction's "That's What Makes You Beautiful" was also shot here. Gr8. Does Malibu Barbie ring a bell? In addition to actors on set being on Malibu beach, actors off set live on the coast, right between the mountains and the ocean. It's a terrific spot, especially if you like being in constant danger of being killed by tsunamis and landslides. Perhaps both at once if you're having a particularly luckless day. 

This is the last post of my Cali-forn-I-A travel diary, and I've saved the most gorgeous for last. 

Photos by me.


The Hotel Del Coronado in all of its glory. 

Oh, just kidding, this is the hotel in all of its glory. It's like an estate unto itself. A manor of sorts.

The San Diego Bay and its little babies, just chillin' in the water, all casual-like. 

Malibu beach's pier lookin' sultry in black and white. 

Please just take a moment to try and imagine that you live on this beach. Think really hard. ...Can't do it? Yeah, that's not even in my realm of impossible realities either. 

Piers are a great invention: they let you trick people into thinking you took a picture from the middle of the Pacific Ocean. 

We got a little excited with our sno-cone and went multi-colored/flavored. We even went so far as to sprinkle some sweet and salty plum powder (somethin' crazy and completely unreal in any place but Malibu) on top. 

One of the classic shacks in which the lifeguards in Malibu Shark Attack attempt to take refuge when the mutant sharks try to kill them. Why they didn't just leave the beach is unfathomable to me. 

Ever since I deleted my Facebook I've gotten so much more done than I have in months. I've been writing, blogging, cleaning my room, doing arts and crafts, standing in long lines, and doing a lot of worthwhile nothing. I felt that while I was using Facebook, I was wasting time. I feel as though my minutes are better spent sitting doing absolutely nothing but thinking than scrolling through endless photographs and meaningless status updates brought to me by people I don't care enough about to actually talk to. And you know how I feel about wasting time. Or maybe you don't. I like it as much as a superstitious person would like if they walked underneath a ladder while a black cat ran in front of them and a mirror smashed to pieces on the ground before their eyes. 

Have a marvelous weekend, dear readers. By the way, I really appreciate those of you who have continued to come back here even though my posts don't go directly to your newsfeed anymore. That's dedication. I'll send you a mental thank-you note on paper infused with pressed flowers and the text written in calligraphy by a professional scribe. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! this place looks beautiful and nice job with the pics I would love to visit someday but i mean who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!