Sunday, July 8, 2012

Trending For Pre-Fall: Lady Grey

People say that grey is such a drab color. I've heard people say it reminds them of rain. Rain is not grey, haters. It's colorless. It is water. Nice try, though. I've never understood the opposition to this non-color color, but now people have no excuse for shunning it. The likes of Diane von Furstenburg and Alexander Wang have brought it into the spotlight. BAM! "Look at me now, y'all," grey challenges. "Just look at me now." When? Right now.

Photos via style.com.

Switch it up: 

                            Diane von Furstenberg                                                     Alberta Ferretti 
          

                              Alexander Wang                                                             Balenciaga
          

                              Alberta Ferretti                                                            Alexander Wang 
          

T by Alexander Wang 

I felt that that opportunity was too good to miss out on, so I saved the writing part for later. How's that for switchin' it up, eh? Grey is already a weird thing in itself: it has two accepted spellings (grey and gray; the one with the 'a' reminds me of rain). I guess that makes me people think that it's okay to reject it. Nay I say! Embrace its differences! Love yo'self, grey! We shouldn't associate it with boredom and condensation and miserable office workers. Instead, how about it trigger thoughts of elephants and ambiguity (as in 'grey area') and spaceships. Those are interesting. Now that we've changed your point of view, let's continue our journey of incorporating grey into our lives. Here's the facts that have been openly interpreted by me into very slightly debatable opinions, depending on your knowledge of color theory:

1. Grey is great for grounding crazy prints without additional boldness, seeing as it is neither black or white. This is irrelevant, but a good starting point nevertheless.
2. There are a billion shades of grey--or should I say fifty of them? Hold me back. I'm this close to vomiting on the screen.
3. Since there are at least fifty shades of the color (that will never get old), dressing in monochrome grey is like dressing in monochrome anything else. It's fun to play with very similar hues, very different hues, and even seeing how many pieces you can find that are from separate places but are the same shade.
4. Because grey monochrome dressing is, well, a form of monochrome dressing (I apologize for the immense redundancy of this whole paragraph), it is great fun to explore unexpected pairings of bizarre textures and fabrics. See: the long list I made of possible combinations on the black and white trend post.
5. Due to its ambivalence, grey works on everyone because no one's skin can possibly be the same color. It's not like my sister, who can't wear yellow because her skin is a sickly shade of chartreuse. 

Can you work with that? Can we make this happen? Can we skyrocket this trend from the trenches of trend-dom to the top of the charts? Do we want to? I don't know. It's a thought. Aren't these all just thoughts anyway? And the most poignant yet vague statement of the night goes to me. <--The reason this is in italics is because it is the paraphrased version of something my sister wrote. 

Happy happy birthday! It's no one's birthday that I know of but I was going to say happy something and I wasn't sure where to go from there. Happy hug-a-hedgehog heyday! Things I love: alliteration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!