Friday, July 27, 2012

Trending For Pre-Fall: Drapin' Jersey

Disclaimer: This post has NOTHING to do with anything related to Jersey Shore or the state across the Hudson River from Manhattan. This refers to the fabric, defined as: a knit fabric used predominantly for clothing manufacture. It was originally made of wool, but now is made of wool, cotton, and synthetic fibres. Fun fact: the reason it's called jersey is because it was first produced on the island of Jersey located in the English Channel during medieval times. Snaps for eponymy. 

For some reason, in my brain, jersey is synonymous with leggings, t-shirts and Rami from Season 4 of Project Runway. It usually doesn't trigger thoughts of high fashion. However, this coming season is all about taking the unexpected and making it acceptable. Cue: jersey gowns, saris, and minidresses. Hold up. Saris? Yup. That's the magic of Macy's the Chanel Pre-Fall 2012 collection. 

Another false assumption about jersey is that it's body-hugging and form fitting. That would make sense, seeing as leggings aren't exactly what I would call "drape-y." Mostly due to the fact that LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS AND NEVER WILL BE and my strong belief in this statement, you will not see any of the those...things in this blogpost. You will see how incredible the likes of Alexander Wang, Helmut Lang, and Badgley Mischka can drape dat shiz into beautifully crafted clothing. 

I can tell, you're jumping out of your seat/couch/floor/underneath your table, so I shan't keep you waiting any longer. 

Photos via style.com.

Itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow-polka-dot...draped jersey? 

                               T by Alexander Wang                                               Diane von Furstenberg 
          

                                  Alexander Wang                                                      Alexander Wang 
          

Drowning in gowns: 

                                Badgley Mischka                                                           Helmut Lang
          

                                      J. Mendel                                                                Malandrino
          

                                 Badgley Mischka                                                    T by Alexander Wang
          

Malandrino

Knitted suits and saris: 

                                       Chanel                                                                   Helmut Lang
          

                                    Helmut Lang                                                                  Chanel
          

Now you see how versatile jersey is and will go out and get that Helmut Lang blazer-asymmetrical-skirt ensemble. Jaykay no one has enough money to be buyin' no Helmut. I recently saw two movies that had to do with India (Kumare and Trishna) and it made me re-fall in love with the Chanel collection. Ol' Karl has done it again.

In other news, FIT ended yesterday, and classiq me, my pants are not quite done. I almost finished them in class, but when I tried them on at home they were too big. I like big, but this was not in an MC Hammer sort of way. It was like a my-lower-body-looks-like-an-inverted-triangle sort of way. I'll show you some pictures once I've corrected the issues.

It recently came to my attention about five minutes ago that maybe you all would like to get more involved with this blog, but I don't really give you the chance. I just kind of say things and then that's it. It's like a one-sided conversation. For all I know, I could be talking to myself--yet my statistics say otherwise. Anoué, I would genuinely like to know: which of the above styles/designers/colors/etcetera are yo' faves? Which ones would you break into Bergdorf Goodman and steal in the dead of night with a weasel as your sidekick? Most importantly, if you were to break into Bergdorf Goodman in the dead of night to steal something, who/what would your sidekick be?? Gosh, so many questions, answer them all. Maybe we can get a nice conversation going between you and another reader, you and me, or you and yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. I would love to be able to afford one or more of these. Any chance?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried to find you on Twitter but the link didn't work. Love your writing and every single dress you posted! Thank God jeresy's not just for leggings anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!