Friday, June 29, 2012

The Venetian Seashore

...Also known as Venice Beach. Said beach is quite well-known in part because a section of the Leonardo DiCaprio/Clare Danes version of the "Romeo + Juliet" movie was filmed there, but also because it's just an all around wacko place. I went last year when I was in Los Angeles, and in my year of absence, Venice Beach has reached its peak of crazytown-ness. Perhaps I was just too young to realize it last time, but I truly felt that I was surrounded by certifiable people. It's probably because thirty-five to forty percent of the population was completely baked (that's a pun, because it was also really hot outside), a statistic estimated by my mother. We actually had some nice conversations with the medical marijuana "doctors" in green scrubs lining Market Street; one guy talked to my sister about her hair for a few minutes while his companion listed the various ways one can ingest weed.

There were artists and merchants and artisans and boys on Segways and a man on a bicycle preaching about dogs and teenagers on skateboards and a multitude of shady activities happening behind doors. It was a beautiful day for some ridiculous fun, so of course I documented a lil' bit of it. Here's a taste of Venice.

Photos by me. 


The scene. If you look at the left, you'll see one of our dear green scrub friends, no doubt convincing that guy next to him that if you're legal, it's legal. 

See: "Wrold's Best Funnel Cakes." I didn't make the typo, they did. Gets me every time.

I guess painting yourself silver and sitting on a crate is like, a thing in California.

He made a mermaid of sand! On concrete! WHAT!

Da boiiz on their Segways. Classy as hayl. <--That's 'hell' if ya didn't get that.

My entire family loved this artwork. 'Twas beautiful shtuff. Just beautificus. 

All of the houses look. Exactly. The same. Except for the two on the end, but that's okay! I didn't even show you the rows of houses that looked like they were transformers and at any moment were apt to grow legs and kill us all. 

Sistah, sistah! My aunt (left) and my mama staring out into the open abyss, contemplating life. Or what we were going to do for dinner. 

FIX THAT SHIT, NOW! 

Venice. How misleading.

The trees just keep comin', I s'pose. 
At this point I don't even know what to write as captions but I feel obligated to put something.

We went to the San Diego Zoo yesterday, and it was one of the most incredible experiences I've had here in California. I had an infatuation a slight obsession with capybaras, the largest rodents in the world, in 4th grade, because we were studying rain forest animals. I made a 26-page picture book about them. It's quality literature. Anyway, they had six capybaras at the Zoo and I almost had a heart attack due to the amount of love radiating from my body for the creatures. You'll see pictures soon. SO. MANY. EXOTIC. ANIMALS. ZEBRAS. CAPYBARAS. TAPIRS. GIRAFFES. RHINOS. DIKDIKS. YES, DIKDIKS. 

It's almost July. Fu09idafsdj38w4piranznxaweick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!