Sunday, June 17, 2012

Art and Stuff

The results of the poll are in, dear readers, and by a unanimous vote of six to zero, all six of you have voted that you thought that it "would be cool I guess" to see some of my artwork. Thanks, guys! Your wish is my command. Sometimes.

Normally, I'm against putting my art on the internet. That's because a lot of people tend to post their stuff on Facebook and expect people to tell them it's beautiful and that they're so talented and all that crap. In my opinion, that's a little pretentious. There's a place for art, and a place for socializing. Facebook fits the latter description much better than the former. I'm fine with people posting artwork on a website whose purpose is to inspire others: a blog (such as this one) or a Tumblr. As frustrating as I find Tumblr at times because of how abused it is, there's no denying its genius (to an extent, o' course). I'm not looking for you to tell me how much you like my work, I just want to share this shtuff with y'all because it's a solid part of my life and this is my blog, isn't it? But if you have something negative to say please keep it to yourself 'cause my mommy always told me that if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Plz 'n tank u! 

All this artwork was done by me (no derr) in my freshman art class, except the last one, which I did a day or two after school ended and was not an assignment. They were all either scanned in or photographed, so please excuse the quality of the photos/scans. 

The assignment for this piece was to choose to work in either one-point, two-point or three-point perspective. I chose one-point and drew a maze. This was done all in pencil and took approximately a million years because if you look at the top part especially, I had to design the maze so it would make sense but also make all the lines entirely straight. I wanted to snap my ruler in half afterward. This drawing was displayed in my school's semi-annual art show. 

In the painting course I took second semester, we had to paint self portraits. Before we could start the painting, we had to practice drawing our faces. This was the sketch I did that got kind of molested because some people don't know how to keep their paint on their own paper. After staring at myself for an hour and a half every day for about a month I was about ready to rip my face off. Imagine my delight when I had to draw it three more times for the final painting.

This is the completed piece, done in tempura paint. Tempura is that paint you used in elementary school. Not quite sure why freshman are using it. It's like an awkward and annoying hybrid between water color and acrylic paints. Keep in mind that acrylic becomes water-resistant when dry. Seein' the contradiction there? 

Our last project in 9th grade (at least, the last one I was able to complete; I work really slowly) was to paint an animal in water color. I'm a Leo, and lions are mutherf*Y#397eiudh9ing princesses so I figured, "Hey, why not paint a lion?" I think he needs a name. I'm seeing something really classy and majestic but still a little badass to fit his personality. What do you think of Leonardo? I know, I know, Leo, Leonardo, it could potentially be too much. Just think of Leo DiCaprio though. This lion is like him...in lion form. 

This is my most recent drawing. The other night I was feeling really inspired to do something, so I found a bunch of random pictures on the internet that I could base certain facial features off of. This isn't really one person, it's a mush of a bunch of people. The eyes are modeled off of mine, for example, because after drawing them so many times I know their general shape fairly well. The left side of the nose is my friend's, and the mouth is another friend's. You get the gist. 

There ya are. This is what I did during my freshman year every afternoon for an hour and a half. Yay arts school!

P.S. Happy Father's Day everyone!


1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!