Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ashish And His Sequins

Ashish Gupta is a genius. Or a madman. Or likely both. I think to an extent madness and genius are directly proportional. Whatever Ashish is, it's awesome and I love it and he should never stop being that thing. I happened upon his eponymous brand around a year ago and felt like crying and doing a little jig when I saw his Spring/Summer 2012 collection. It was a perfect combination of flowers and cowgirls and braids and sequins. And when one combines those four items gracefully--nay, MAGNIFICENTLY--said person clearly has a great deal of talent and should be showered with rose petals and chocolate chip muffins every morning. 

There isn't a whole lot of info on the designer himself on the Infinite Internet, but I did find a short interview he did with the people at London Fashion Week. He began his line in 2005, interweaving pop culture references and product placement between his messily glamourous clothing right from the get-go. Ashish has been quoted saying that his signature design focal points are, "Sequins, glamour, sportswear, and more sequins."Basically, SEQUINS. He sometimes uses them subtly as small accents, he sometimes dunks the models in bowls of sequins and sends them on the runway, he sometimes loads Nerf guns with sequins and goes on midnight panty raids thus armed. (Disclaimer: nothing I just said is true at all.) 

Ashish gathers inspiration from the cinematic world and pop culture, as well as Tumblr. He thinks Tumblr is fascinating because of how it gathers inspiration and information from millions of people worldwide. He calls it an "ever-evolving giant scrapbook of ideas." That's one way of putting it. 

The thing I love about Ashish is how endlessly funky and fearless it is. Whoever's wearing his clothes obviously does not give a flying fuq about what other people think of them, which I think is highly admirable. Good for them, and good for Ashish for promoting such intense awesomeness. 

You should check out all his collections on his website, I promise promise promise you will not regret it. 

[Photos via Style.com.]

SPRING/SUMMER 2012

SPRING/SUMMER 2012

FALL/WINTER 2012

FALL/WINTER 2012



SPRING/SUMMER 2013

SPRING/SUMMER 2013

FALL/WINTER 2013

FALL/WINTER 2013

Now I want to destroy all my old pairs of jeans and create a patchwork jumpsuit. Actually, I think I'm going to go do that. Like, right now. 

P.S. Alina and I are going to Governor's Ball this Saturday (along with a bunch of other Can I Have Your Closet veterans, like Octavia and Olive) so I'm definitely going to post about that once I've recovered from the psychedelic experience. We're seeing Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros (aka the one band in the entire world that I would follow around the world if I had the funds/means), Animal Collective, and Dirty Projectors, among others. My excitement is ova-flowin'. 

1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!