Monday, February 18, 2013

Symphonic Apocalypse (Son Jung Wan Fall 2013)

Fashion Week coverage for Fall 2013, always beginning late over here on You're A Tulle. I like to relive the week long after it's passed. In fact, let's stretch it out all the way until everyone else reaches Paris, yeah?

As I foreshadowed months ago, I toned it down a bit this season and went to only three shows, as opposed to last season's eight. The first one I attended was Son Jung Wan on Saturday, February 9th. There wasn't much information given about the collection in the show notes except for the model line-up and what exactly they were wearing, so I thought it would be beneficial for all of us if I snuck backstage and interviewed the designer to find out what it was all about. You can find said dialogue below.

Odelia: What was your inspiration for this collection?
Son Jung Wan: I got inspired by painter Kandinsky. His Compositions express the flow of music and color, like a symphony. My color palette is based on nature tones, of course gray, and beige, and off-white, and I used accent color oxblood and opposed bright colors.
Odelia: Where do you often look for inspiration?
SJW: Music, and art, and daily life, and movies.
Odelia: Did you explore any new construction techniques for this collection?
SJW: I make seamless clothes, and handmade clothes.
Odelia: How would you describe your brand's style or aesthetic?
SJW: Sexy, luxury.

If you're unfamiliar with the oeuvre of Kandinsky, this is one of his paintings:


It's a little tricky to see how the inspiration translated to the collection because of the extensive use of color and seemingly arbitrary location of brushstrokes and shapes, but upon further inspection, the pieces start to fit together.

Kandinsky was heavily inspired by music, calling it "the ultimate teacher." Take this quote by the artist that describes the above piece:

"The sun melts all of Moscow down to a single spot that, like a mad tuba, starts all of the heart and all of the soul vibrating. But no, this uniformity of red is not the most beautiful hour. It is only the final chord of a symphony that takes every colour to the zenith of life that, like the fortissimo of a great orchestra, is both compelled and allowed by Moscow to ring out."

His seven Compositions that the designer referenced had a common theme of the apocalypse, and if you think about it really hard, the end of the world is a pretty natural thing. It has to happen. I don't want to turn this into a rant on my theories about the Mayan apocalypse and Global Climate Change, but I think Son Jung Wan unconsciously agrees with me. The world as we know it is going to end, and it's going to happen soon. You can either fight it, or you can ride the wave. By going back to basics (not just in fabric choices), we can secretly reverse the destruction of the Earth and ultimately avoid the actual demolition of our planet, while still reforming our world into a new one. Like a rebirth of sorts. 

I'm really unsure if any of that made sense, so in an attempt to not confuse you further, here are pictures. 

[Photos by me.]

Like a bib-poncho, but made of fur. 

It looks like she's floating, right?!

This color is pulled right out of a painting, I bet. 

As is this one.

I'm not sure if you would classify the hairdos as pompadours or beehives. They're very Morrissey meets Amy Winehouse.


A continuation of the Spring 2013 frills trend, which is in turn a continuation of the Spring 2012 frills trend.

Swoosh.


The aforementioned oxblood.

Fur is simply never going to get old, it seems.

And neither are metallics

If this was incoherent I apologize. No matter how much sleep I get my brain just doesn't receive the signals that THE SUN IS UP IT'S TIME TO WORK PROPERLY, THANK YOU!

I've got a bunch of stories lined up for you all, including coverage of the Alice + Olivia collection, a street style trend photographed by yours truly, and the reintroduction of Can I Have Your Closet! And an interview with some awesome people! And a shizton of other articles I'm going to write! Wut iz skewl?

Oh yeah, it's that thing I have to go back to in two days instead of in a week. Right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!