Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Heroes

Let's talk about pillowcases. They do a lot more than provide cartoon-printed outfits for your head cushions. They can even provide cartoon-printed outfits for you. I'm not implying that you are a pillow. I am trying to casually allude to the fact that I did exactly what I suggested above: I made a dress out of pillowcases. And it doesn't look like a potato sack

During the week of the hurricane, my mom and I took a few trips to our neighborhood dollar store--Value Depot, to be exact--to stock up on weird cheap things we might need and to buy some blankets and cleaning supplies and other items of that ilk for those that had been affected by the storm. While my mom was picking out shower curtains, I unknowingly wandered into the linens section (I say unknowingly because it was placed next to the pantyhose and ironing boards and mens house shoes) and laid eyes on a plastic encasement of pure beauty. I had found Superman pillowcases, for only two dollars a pack. I had never been more appreciative of mass consumer production in my life. I hastily grabbed two packages and thrust them at my mother. She was very confused. "What do you want with pillowcases? You have plenty of pillowcases. You don't even look at them. And these look kinda scratchy." I rolled my eyes at her, exasperatedly. (I didn't really do that.) "Because, mom," I replied. "I can use these for fabric! Duh!" (As you can see, when I recount events I tend to turn them into how they would've played out had I been in a teen movie, or an episode of Lizzie McGuire.

Cut ahead a few months to late January, when I had a week off from school. It was cold, I was tired, I felt creative--what better way to channel that energy (or lack thereof) than into making clothes for myself? Making fancy hot soup probably would have solved all of my problems a bit more directly, but I didn't do that. I started cutting and pinning and sewing and ironing, and within a few days, I had the dress you see before you. Rather, the dress you will see before you if you scroll down a little bit. 

I decided to wear my Superman pillowcase dress to the Alice + Olivia show last Monday. ...I think that's all I have left to say about it. 

[Photos by my mom.]

Dress: made by me
Army jacket: Hamlet's Vintage
Scarf: my grandma
Boots: Timberland
Bag: a walkman/CD case from my childhood

I'm really pleased with the way I was able to repurpose my CD case. I use to wear that thing everywhere...and then I got an iPod. Technology is kind of a bitch, isn't it? It splits up relationships of all sorts: those between two people, between human and inanimate object...

The skirt is usually fuller than that, just sayin'. 

Denim jacket: Gap, embroidered by me (it says: "Om" (the symbol) Shanti Shanti Shanti)

This was something else I had been working on. Over the summer I began embroidering my beloved denim jacket to say "Om Shanti Shanti Shanti" on it, and I finally finished it on my week off. I'm glad of it, because my jacket was out of commission for months because it was a work-in-progress. I think I've worn it everyday since it was recalled to life. 

Hey, would you look at that! It's almost the weekend again. Huh.

1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!