Sunday, February 3, 2013

DIY-deas

I tried various combinations of syllables for the title, such as DI-deas, DIYdeas, etcetera, but the main point is: DIY IDEAS. Consolidated into a neat little list. Just for you. And sort of for me. It's a mutual relationship.

I'm a craftsy sort of gal, but due to the fact that I am legally obligated to attend school I have little time to actually craft. Over a recent vacation I made a dress out of Superman pillow cases from the dollar store (I will have pictures of that up soon; I know it's been a mega long time since I've done an outfit post), but that was only one thing out of many that I've wanted to create lately, because really, who has the money to have awesome stuff all the time? Not me. Solution? Do it yo'self, ho. ('Ho' in the Shakespearean sense, naturally.)

[Photos via Style.com and Man Repeller.]

ASHISH HARE KRISHNA SKIRT:
I've yet to formally profess my love for the brand Ashish, but let me assure you it's one of my favorites. I was all over his Fall 2012 collection, especially his Hare Krishna garments. These would be super easy to recreate: just get some gray fabric, sew it into a circle skirt, and use a red fabric marker to write "Hare Krishna Hare Rama Hare Hare" all over it.

CHANEL PEARL HAIRPINS:
I haven't quite figured out how to make the ones that stick to your face unless you paint button candy and place it on your skin, hoping for the best. I think the hairpins could be made by simply getting some fake pearls from one of those shady overstock websites (or a craft store) and hot gluing them to bobby pins (one pearl per pin), and then using a silver sharpie to write the Chanel logo on top. 

ALEXANDER WANG LEATHER BONNET:
From the front, these look like cat ears. I wanted to show a side view so you could see what it actually is, but the cat ears are a real hoot. If you're like me and happen to have a whole bunch of pleather lying around (from your seventh grade project on Colonial shoemaking, of course), then making one of this would be supereasy. All you have to do is cut out the shape--a simple isosceles triangle should do--and tie it around your head. If you're not weird and don't have animal skin to spare, your local thrift store should have something cheap made of leather, be it a skirt, dress, top, whatever (most likely a skirt, though). My guess is that it won't cost more than $20, and Alexander Wang's cost a billion times more than that. Cost-per-wear, guys. 

 CELINE FLUFFY SANDALS:
These are magical. That's really all I can say about these. And, if you have an old pair of Birkenstocks, or other sandals that are really just too ugly to wear (not that Birkenstocks are ugly, I dig those), you can turn them into Céline look-alikes by getting some faux dyed hair at either a fabric or crafts store and hot gluin' that shiz errywhere. 

JIL SANDER PAPER BAG:
Okay, Jil Sander literally created this just so it could be DIY'd. THIS IS THE EASIEST DIY ON THIS LIST. Go to a deli and ask for a paper bag, get some varnish from an art or crafts supply store and coat the whole thing, let it dry, and either stamp or write something on the front if you feel so inclined. $150 for a paper bag? Try again, Jil. 

My new goal is to create all of these things. Why is it that I always wait until a week before Fashion Week to decide to be all trendy? Oy.

Enjoy the week, frandz. If you're gearing up for NYFW, well, you better start gearing.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not craft enough for many DIY, but these... YES! I could manage those Celine fluffy sandals! And the Hare Krishna skirt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh I want to make those Chanel pins but I'm genuinely too lazy ngl

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!