Friday, February 8, 2013

Mother Nature (Erin Barr Fall 2013)

Well, New York Fashion Week has begun. It doesn't feel like it, though. I've been so out of touch with the fashion world just trying to get by that I'm completely unfazed by my favorite biannual occasion's advent. It hasn't sunken in yet; it feels very far away. Maybe it will all feel much more real after attending my first runway show of the season, which will be soon. It was going to be Erin Barr (remember her? I saw her collection last season. She's made the transition to catwalk for Fall 2013. It's very exciting), but I couldn't make it. I was quite bummed about it, especially because it was at Pier 59, and I prefer the venues at Chelsea Piers. Lincoln Center is great, but Pier shows just seem a lot more underground, in a way. Even though I couldn't attend the show this season, I wanted to review the collection anyway because I'm a fan of the designer's work. I got a hold of some pictures (obviously not ones that I took) and selected my favorite looks from the lineup. 

Erin Barr is from Wisconsin, which is a pretty homely (in the non-plain-Jane sense), nature-y place. I have a friend who's from Wisconsin. Just a fun little fact. This season, the designer decided to reflect that atmosphere in her clothing. The inspiration is very subtle, nearly undetectable, even. But once the source is known, it's easy to see how all of it ties together. If you recall her pieces from last season (take a moment to refresh your memory here), you would know that Erin's aesthetic is borderline minimalistic, using color, texture, and small but distinctive details to create variety. She stayed true to the nature of her work (pun so intended) this season, with the basic silhouettes accented by covertly complex details. That's how nature really is though, isn't it? The simplicity of nature is exactly what makes it beautiful. 

The ancient religions of Daoism and Shintoism, to name a few examples, inspire believers to look to the natural laws of the universe for guidance. Some people frown upon this ideology, claiming that life is not as straightforward as that. It's tough to say who's right, but I'm leaning in favor of the Japanese philosophers. Due in part to the cultural influence of the aforementioned religions, the environment is stereotypically thought of as being this graceful, harmonious entity; the words "grace" and "harmony" don't lend themselves to intricacies and complexities. They invoke thoughts of fluidity and ease, just as Erin's clothing this season does.  

The show notes also mentioned the fact that the designer began thinking about the contradistinction of the sensuality of nature and the sensuality of the female form. To me, the human body is one of the most phenomenal aspects of nature itself. Lay-deez bodies are a hot topic (one that I will be writing a great deal about in the near future on this here blog), and not without reason (although my reason is probably not the same one everyone else has): WOMEN MAKE BABIES! They have the physical ability to create life. What is that all about? That is crazytown. Crazy Town. And what's more natural than life? Nothing. 

If you're reading this, Erin Barr, I totally get your collection now. 

Now, the photos. 

[Images courtesy of MAO PR.] 

I'm a little bit in love with the detailing at the shoulder. Anyone can make a plain old sheath dress, but not everyone has the creative brain power to put little spaghetti wings on it. 

Another example of small features that make a huge difference: that stripe of almost shimmering black fabric across the model's chest that is not the same textile as the rest of the shirt. It's hard to see at first, but then it's really exciting because it's like she's wearing a secret shirt. 

Pockets? Who needs those? They are useless. Turn them upside down and slap them over your breasts. Now that, that is something that will come in handy. 

I guess Erin was feeling the armless vibe. I dig it. 

Did I not say that Fashion Week would bring a lot of leather? Peplums are so last season, but tops with detachable (or so it would seem) flaps are way cool. Now you see my belly button, now you don't!

This zipper seems to be functionless, not unlike stepped-on leaves posing as crunchy ones. They exist in nature, but they serve absolutely no purpose. There's still some sort of charm about them in spite of their trickery, though. They got you this time, and they'll do it again next time.

It's no surprise that Erin is a fan of cut-outs, and evidently zippers-to-nowhere, and leather gloves. I like those things, too. Let's get together and feel alright.

There's nothing unnatural about fashion. Erin Barr can easily explain that to you.

All you New Yorkers out there, stay safe in this crazy-as-hayl blizzard we've got goin' on. It better not affect Fashion Week. I've been waiting six months for this. If anyone tries to deny climate change after this (or even after Sandy) snowstorm, I will personally go to (read: forcibly enter) their abode and make them look at boring graphs of weather patterns and temperature shifts dating from the beginning of the last millenium. That's a lot of lines and numbers and axes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!