Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Singing Sweet Songs

If you ever wanted a list of things you shouldn't do on a school night, going to a concert at Gramercy Theatre is probably one of them. As I told you on Monday, I went to a Charlene Kaye concert last night at that particular venue. Let me revise that: I thought I was going to a Charlene Kaye concert last night. You know me, I've got a story for everything. It's time to tell da tale.

I got to Gramercy at around 6:40, only ten minutes after they said the concert was starting. I thought I was going to be fashionably late or something. In reality, I was standing in a sparsely populated room for about 45 minutes, listening to some Canadian Starkid/Glee/Darren Criss diehards who had indigo hair and partially shaved heads blab about their obsessive lives. It was hell. I was by myself, mind you. Really k00l, I know. The concert finally started at around 7:45, but it wasn't Charlene, or anyone that I was expecting to be opening for her. It was Jillette Johnson; she was actually really good (imagine a mix between Regina Spektor and a lil' bit of Lana Del Ray, but a much more musically talented Lana). I thought Charlene was going to come on next, but no. It was Theo Katzman. His band was great and he was so adorable, but it was getting late, and there was no sign of Charlene coming out any time soon. After Theo wrapped up his set, I got my hopes up that she would be the next person on stage. Wrong again. It was Alicia Lemke, who was legitimately a brunette Lana Del Ray. She was wearing a white maxi dress with cutouts at the rib cage and had a wreath of feathers protruding from the side of her head, and she was playing a ukelele. Let's just say I wasn't the biggest fan. While she was playing, I got autographs from Theo Katzman and Charlene Kaye, who had actually come out to watch the show and was j-chillin'. At this point, my mom was like, "You need to go, you have school tomorrow." But then, being the awesome chick she is, she agreed to stay for a bit of Charlene's set and was let in by the guards after complaining about how I'd saved up money for the ticket and I didn't even get to see what I'd come for (it was a $15 ticket...). I was mega pumped when she hit the stage, but then I didn't even know any of the three or four songs she played because they were all off the new album that she had released that day. I kind of just gave up and went home. I got some pictures, though. Wanna see?

Photos by me. 


This is Jillette Johnson, just jammin' out on her keyboard. She had on a really awesome jacket that had a denim bodice and leather sleeves. It looked just like this one from Sandro, although I doubt a budding musician has enough money to spend on a $400 jacket. 

Theo was actually a really classy dude. He had on a tie and a black shirt and everything! He even had little gold hoop earrings that I observed when I talked to him. Kewl kid, is he not? 

He's totally getting into his music, which I love. It's just the greatest when people are passionate about their craft; that's probably why I go to an arts school. That would make sense.

Charlene Kaye! FINALLY! She had on some really intense glittery eye makeup, but the best part of her ensemble was the dress itself: it was some sort of mermaid-y sparkly sea green spandex dress with a feathered neckline, which you can sort of see above. It was really intense. 

You can see the outfit better here. Imagine wearing that. ...I can't. Just the whole idea of it is really frightening and overwhelming, but props to her for rocking it. No pun intended. 

Here's a playlist of my favorite songs from all the artists pictured above: 
1. Cameron by Jillette Johnson 
2. Every Few Days by Theo Katzman 
3. I Feel Love (All the Time) by Theo Katzman 
4. Strike a Chord by Charlene Kaye
5. Different Colored Eyes by Charlene Kaye 
6. All the Life Around by Charlene Kaye 
7. Dress and Tie by Charlene Kaye featuring Darren Criss <--a.k.a. the love of my life 
8. Magnolia Wine by Charlene Kaye 
9. Skin and Bones by Charlene Kaye featuring Darren Criss
10. Bound Red Gideon by Charlene Kaye 

Happy listening (and Wednesday)! 

1 comment:

  1. Atleast you get to see her. :)

    Would you mind checking out this giveaway? Thanks!

    thegirlfromwonderland.blogspot.com/2012/05/were-just-under-upper-hand.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!