Monday, May 21, 2012

Superior Smizers: Hanneli Mustaparta

Hanneli Mustaparta has become somewhat of a staple on this blog. I mention her so often that she's even got her own label. I suppose that my love for her began when I met her at the ADAM Spring 2012 show back in September; I saw her sitting in the front row and I knew she looked famous and familiar, so I took her picture. Little did I know that I was photographing/interacting with/slightly fangirling in front of a fashion celebrity. When I found out who she was when I got home, I recall flippin' my flippers out. This beautiful and extremely stylish model, blogger and Vogue magazine contributor has even become part of a joke here on You're A Tulle. Do you guys remember Hanneli Gabiele Mustaparisian? It's probably unnatural how proud I am of that creation.

Hanneli was born in Baerum, Norway, on October 13 of 1982. Why is that the best people are always foreigners? Emma Watson, Alexa Chung, Hanne Gaby Odiele...at least we can claim Arizona Muse.  There's surprisingly little information about Hanneli on the interwebz, but I did find out that she was discovered in 1999 at the age of 17 by the fashion photographer Per Heimly. She started her blog in March of 2009, so she's been doing this for quite a while. She contributes to Vogue quite often and occasionally models, but in recent years she's felt more comfortable behind the camera (she's a pretty darn good street style photographer). I advise that you check out her blog, Hanneli. It's yumyumyumyumyum delicioso!

Photos via hanneli.com and harpersbazaar.com

Hanneli is a huge fan of white. She wears it all the time. It takes a certain amount of courage to wear white pants, I think. It also takes a great deal of knowledge to know how to mix pale colors properly without looking washed out. She grounded her pastels perfectly with a dark belt and black heels. 

More white. See? I told ya she likes the color. The Opening Ceremony cat shirt is actually so perfect, especially when paired with white wide leg pants, white gloves and a black purse. Mind you, this was taken during February Fashion Week, when it was approximately 40 degrees Farenheit outside. She must have been insane. Hanneli really is dedicated to her craft. 

I don't quite know where this was taken, but based on the scenery it looks like a place in Europe. I've said it twice before and I'll say it thrice: Hanneli's wardrobe consists mostly of white garments. There is literally something white in seven out of eight of the photographs in this post. The sheer top paired with matching pants look modern but the retro sunglasses and platform brogues add a little twist. Where does she find such beautiful clothing? Halp me Hanneli!!! 

When you're a model, you can walk around wearing an abstract floral print bra, a matching jacket and a midi-length white pencil skirt and no one will judge you harshly. I usually don't like matchy-matchy outfits, but by pulling out the white from the blazer and mirroring it in the skirt, Hanneli avoided looking too monochrome. 

This is the only photograph in which Hanneli is not wearing white. The leather skirt and leather purse play nicely off of the pumpkin colored top. The silhouettes lend to a schoolgirl style, a theme that is also touched upon in Hanneli's hair clip. By keeping the silhouettes simple and not wearing any prints, she made the outfit look sophisticated and fresh instead of young and childish. 

And the white returns. I think Hanneli also has a thing for leather, and cool sunglasses. There is probably no one less perfect than this woman--or, at least no one more well-dressed. She has mastered the art of dressing oneself, and it is a pleasure to see the fruits of her labor. This look is very Parisian (Hanneli Gabiele Mustaparisian, eh?)

Leather and white, all in one piece of clothing. That's pretty fancy. The masterful mixing of colors, textures and hemlines is quite impressive, I think. 

Hey. Hey. Guess what color her dress is. It's freaking white. I love how flowy and free the dress is. I don't know why it seems to work so well with her mega tall boot-heel hybrid shoes and that cute lil' pastel bag, but it just does. That's the magic of Macy's Hanneli. 

Hanneli Mustaparta might be one of the best dressed people I know (I can say that I know her because I met her twice and she petted my ostrich feather jacket and told me she loved it). She is a huge inspiration to me, even though I know that her style doesn't really fit my aesthetic. A girl can dream, ya know. It's called REM sleep.


I don't know how much more of this "school" business I can take. It's really cutting into my down time and tampering with my sanity levels, so bear with me. Just know that I'd rather be blogging.

Here's to another long, rainy week. Cheers, mis amigos.


2 comments:

  1. Once again a very interesting and entertaining article. I love the descriptions of the outfits as wel as the scenery. At least two of the places look like Paris for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening ceremony cat shirt is so nice! such a shame its cut too short for me to wear!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!